"Earlier today, people may have experienced trouble accessing Facebook's family of apps. The issue has since been resolved, we are back to 100 percent for everyone and we're sorry for any inconvenience," a company spokesman said in a statement.
Facebook blamed "an issue in one of our central software systems" for snarling connectivity for several hours.
Many users, often wryly, took to Twitter to comment on the crash.
Downdetector, which monitors outages on the internet, said users of all Facebook platforms started having trouble at 1345 GMT.
As is often the case with these outages, this one seemed to hit randomly around the world, with some regions affected and others not.
Facebook says it has 2.45 billion active monthly users across its array of products.
Facebook, Twitter Instagram: Tips & Tricks To Keep Social Media Private
It seems counter intuitive – after all, social media helps you share your opinions and speak to a larger audience. But thanks to rampant identity theft and online stalking, there is a solid argument to be made to target your social posts instead of keeping them public. Karan Bajaj shows you how.
- Gmail and G suite faces outage, users take to social media to complain
- Vodafone Idea blames fibrecut for Bengaluru network outage
- South seeing power price hikes owing to outages
- Friday fury: Markets go into a tailspin. Twitter also has an outage
- Built-in battery adapters the way forward during small power outage, says Paytm founder
- Twitter service faces outage in India