India bid farewell to 2018 with (over 20,000 plates of) biryani. Did you, too?
Along with biryani, foodies also munched on Black Forest chocolate cake, chicken rolls, burgers and fried rice on NYE.
More than 20,000 plates of biryani were dispatched across the country on December 31, and over 300 were delivered in the last 30 minutes leading to 2019, says food ordering and delivery platform Foodpanda.
Along with biryani, foodies also munched on Black Forest chocolate cake, chicken rolls, burgers and fried rice as they welcomed the New Year.
According to a report by Foodpanda showing gastronomical trends, Hyderabad, the Delhi-NCR, Bengaluru, Mumbai and Vizag placed the maximum number of orders on the last day of 2018. And a Mumbai customer ordered food as many as 22 times on December 31!
The food orders from the past year also revealed some interesting trends:
- India loves to order biryani, burgers, shakes and ice-creams
- Favourite breakfast item: Idli and dosa
- Favourite lunch item: Biryani, shakes and ice-cream
- Most-ordered evening snacks: Momos, pasta, shakes and ice-cream
- Favourite dinner food: Chicken biryani
- Go-to food item for late night cravings: Chicken biryani, rolls, and shakes
- Delhi NCR, Bangalore, Hyderabad and Mumbai order-in the most
However regional tastes also made a difference, with chicken biryani emerging as the most-ordered food item in Hyderabad, and Mumbaikars going big on milkshakes and burgers. While tikkas and butter chicken ruled in Delhi, hakka noodles also climbed the popularity ladder. But it was Bengaluru that took the healthy route in 2018, opting for mostly sugar-free juices and salads.
But different taste buds aside, dinner was India’s favourite meal to order food.