Never miss a great news story!
Get instant notifications from Economic Times
AllowNot now

You can switch off notifications anytime using browser settings.
Stock Analysis, IPO, Mutual Funds, Bonds & More

India Inc's boardrooms: Only 6 out of 100 chairpersons are women

Aon Consulting in its ‘OnBoard’ report studied India’s top 158 companies.

, ET Bureau|
Updated: Jan 29, 2019, 09.12 AM IST
ThinkStock Photos
Do top Indian companies have small or large boards? Do they have enough independent directors? How many women are at the top? What’s the average pay of board directors? And which kind of companies pay the most?

ET looks at data compiled by Aon Consulting in its ‘OnBoard’ report that studied India’s top 158 companies.

Here are the key findings:

Board Composition & Leaders

How Companies Pay Board Members
- Rs 28.8 lakh is average payout to an independent director. Of this, 25% is paid as sitting fees and the remaining 75% is paid in form of profitrelated commission.

- Commission to an independent director rises significantly with the size of the company implying that there is a significant premium attached to be an independent director in a large organisation.

- Banks pay the highest sitting fees, and IT/ITeS companies pay the highest commission.

Sitting Fee

Anubhav Gupta, Director at Aon, said, “corporate governance bodies have long highlighted the need for separating the governed (CEOs who run the companies) with those who govern (chairpersons of the board). The separation of CEO/MD and the chairperson roles may lead to a change in the board structure of companies led by executive promoter directors. Among the top 158 companies in India, about 1/3rd are led by an executive chairman today.”

Numbers Of Note

SOURCE: Data from 158 largest listed companies in India by market capitalisation, excluding public sector enterprises

Workplace Diversity: Need Equality In The Boardrooms

of 6
Play Slideshow

Who's The Boss?

6 Feb, 2018
The world over, there has been a clamour for diversity in the workplace. In India too, the story is no different. And a lot of corporations have raised red flags over the abysmal representation of women in the boardroom. From treating women equally to women-specific policies, there are various points of view. So what can bring about diversity?

Want stories like this in your inbox? Sign up for the daily ET Panache newsletter.

You can also follow us on Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn.

Also Read

Time to test waters in the boardroom?

With 44% women in the boardroom, Diageo tops gender equality list

Trust, comfort & problem-solving: Pepperfry boss takes trekking lessons to boardroom

Cricket tips for the boardroom: Keep a light tone, avoid sledging

MNC boardrooms open doors to women leaders from India

Add Your Comments
Commenting feature is disabled in your country/region.
Download The Economic Times Business News App for the Latest News in Business, Sensex, Stock Market Updates & More.

Other useful Links

Follow us on

Download et app

Copyright © 2019 Bennett, Coleman & Co. Ltd. All rights reserved. For reprint rights: Times Syndication Service