On Oberoi's instruction, his lawyer Dinesh Tiwari sought explanation from the police for their "shoddy probe" and for "why the First Informant/accused has been given preferential treatment and why the remand application was worded in the manner so as to benefit" her.
Oshiwara police on Monday said it had arrested the 34-year-old woman for alleged criminal conspiracy, along with five others, of staging a self-assault and then coming to the police station on May 25 to register a false case to ensure Oberoi didn't get bail from the Bombay high court and to derive support for a #MeToo agitation.
Police had then produced her before a night magistrate and sought judicial custody. The magistrate released her on bail. Earlier, the other five arrested, including her former lawyer Ali Kaashif Khan, were also granted bail almost immediately.
2018: The Year When #MeToo Shook India
2018: The Year Of #MeToo In India
2018 saw the rise of the #MeToo movement in India. Inspired by a global campaign against sexual harassment and assault, women across the spectrum opened up and shared their stories about abuse by men in positions of power. And it began in October with actress Tanushree Dutta accusing actor Nana Patekar of sexual harassment while shooting for the 2008 film 'Horn Ok Please'.
What followed was a series of posts by other women who shared their experiences with the world. From actors, film directors to advertising top guns, artists and writers and politicians, women professionals called out obnoxious behaviour at the workplace. From unwanted attention in the office to sexual innuendos on the film set, there were many kinds of allegations that surfaced.
While some of these are still struggling in the industry amidst the allegations, some succeeded in getting a clean chit from authorities. Recently, rumours surfaced that Patekar has been given a clean chit. However, the 'Aashiq Banaya Aapne' actress quashed the rumours. However, director Vikas Bahl, who was one of the prime accusees, has been set free from all charges against him. The internal complaints committee of Reliance Entertainment, today, set the 'Queen' director free, who was accused by an employee of Phantom films under the #MeToo movement.
(In Pic: From top left, Nana Patekar, Aditi Mittal, Subhash Ghai, Anirban Das Blah. From bottom left, Alok Nath, Sajid Khan, Jatin Das, Vikas Bahl)
Tiwari on Tuesday, in his letter emailed to police, said Oberoi, 44, "wishes to place on record the mysterious manner in which the woman was arrested and produced before the Court...so as to ensure that she gets bail." It said in her second May 25 assault FIR "against unknown person, impression was sought to be created as if the assailants were connected with my client."
"In fact, the concerned PSI allowed the lawyer for the First Informant/Accused to read the contents of the Remand Application," the letter stated. Tiwari says the PSI then "clandestinely" removed the woman to "an undisclosed location," adding that when asked, Pasalwar said he was "also not aware about their location."
Tiwari said he received "no information" from policemen when he asked where the arrested woman was and only later at night, he became aware a magistrate had granted her bail. "It was shocking to know the manner in which the details were hidden," his letter said.
Read More News on
- #MenToo: Actor-singer Karan Oberoi's bail plea to be heard today
- Karan Oberoi files complaint against investigating officer, accuses him of favouring complainant
- Karan Oberoi case: Woman who had accused the actor of rape held for criminal conspiracy
- #MeToo: Bombay HC slams police, questions possibility of impartial investigation in Karan Oberoi's case
- Karan Oberoi case: Lawyer of complainant, who was threatened last month, arrested for 'staging' attack
- #MenToo: After week-long hearing, Mumbai court quashes Karan Oberoi's bail plea