Never miss a great news story!
Get instant notifications from Economic Times
AllowNot now


You can switch off notifications anytime using browser settings.
11,921.50-96.9
Stock Analysis, IPO, Mutual Funds, Bonds & More

Sona Mohapatra thanks Tanushree Dutta for calling out Anu Malik, says the second wave of #MeToo is here

The singer posted a statement on Instagram saying the #MeToo movement isn't dead.

PTI|
Nov 19, 2019, 02.17 PM IST
0Comments
BCCL
In an Instagram post, singer Sona Mohapatra (left) lauded Tanushree Dutta (right) for speaking up against Anu Malik.
In an Instagram post, singer Sona Mohapatra (left) lauded Tanushree Dutta (right) for speaking up against Anu Malik.
MUMBAI: Singer Sona Mohapatra on Monday thanked Tanushree Dutta for her support after the actor praised her for raising voice against music composer Anu Malik, who has been accused of sexual harassment by multiple women, adding that the #MeToo movement is far from dead.

Malik was first accused of misconduct last year during the #MeToo wave and was briefly dropped as a judge of a singing reality show on Sony channel.

Several women, including singers Shweta Pandit and Neha Bhasin, levelled allegations against the composer.

The allegations resurfaced with his reinstatement this September.

In a daily, Tanushree, who can be credited with kick-starting India #MeToo in the showbiz sphere, had applauded Mohapatra and others for "fighting the good fight" against Malik and his reinstatement.

On her part, Mohapatra said she felt "elated" after reading the actor's critique of the channel's "double standards".

"My own fight is not against just one man, but with an entire system which normalises sexual harassment and encourages perverted behaviour, power play and a lopsided system. I am not one to tire easily or run away from a battlefield and one odd fight might be lost but ultimately the war will be won.

"The tide is turning and while it does take time, the good people of the world do rally together to fight evil and help change things for the larger good. So many speaking up and showing solidarity in public has strengthened the movement. MeToo will not die that easily, the second wave is here and its TimesUp now," the singer wrote on Facebook.

Mohapatra said Malik being removed from the show will be "a symbolic victory" for the people fighting for positive change, a better and safer future for children and women in India.

"This is no small, petty or minor issue, this is a matter that defines what kind of ‘India Shining' we plan to be in the coming years. This is the ‘good over evil' type of fight..." she added.


Mohapatra was the first to call Malik out last year, claiming that he would call her at odd hours and once referred to her as "maal" in front of her composer husband Ram Sampath. Bhasin and Pandit also came forward with their stories of alleged harassment at the hands of Malik when they were young and looking for work.

Last week, the music composer denied the allegations, saying he was "being cornered" for something he did not do and may take legal action to safeguard himself.


In a statement posted on social media, Malik called the claims "false and unverified" which had affected his "only source of livelihood".

2018: The Year When #MeToo Shook India

of 13
Next
Prev
Play Slideshow

2018: The Year Of #MeToo In India

27 Dec, 2018
2018 saw the rise of the #MeToo movement in India. Inspired by a global campaign against sexual harassment and assault, women across the spectrum opened up and shared their stories about abuse by men in positions of power. And it began in October with actress Tanushree Dutta accusing actor Nana Patekar of sexual harassment while shooting for the 2008 film 'Horn Ok Please'.What followed was a series of posts by other women who shared their experiences with the world. From actors, film directors to advertising top guns, artists and writers and politicians, women professionals called out obnoxious behaviour at the workplace. From unwanted attention in the office to sexual innuendos on the film set, there were many kinds of allegations that surfaced.While some of these are still struggling in the industry amidst the allegations, some succeeded in getting a clean chit from authorities. Recently, rumours surfaced that Patekar has been given a clean chit. However, the 'Aashiq Banaya Aapne' actress quashed the rumours. However, director Vikas Bahl, who was one of the prime accusees, has been set free from all charges against him. The internal complaints committee of Reliance Entertainment, today, set the 'Queen' director free, who was accused by an employee of Phantom films under the #MeToo movement.(In Pic: From top left, Nana Patekar, Aditi Mittal, Subhash Ghai, Anirban Das Blah. From bottom left, Alok Nath, Sajid Khan, Jatin Das, Vikas Bahl)
Next

Want stories like this in your inbox? Sign up for the daily ET Panache newsletter.

You can also follow us on Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn.

Also Read

#MeToo row: Anu Malik steps down as 'Indian Idol' judge; Sona Mohapatra welcomes move

#MeToo: Anu Malik finally responds to sexual harassment allegations; says he may take legal action

#MeToo fallout: Sona Mohapatra slams Tendulkar, Anand Mahindra for praising ‘Indian Idol’ contestants

#MeToo: Rape case filed against actor-producer Aditya Pancholi

Comments
Add Your Comments
Commenting feature is disabled in your country/region.
Download The Economic Times Business News App for the Latest News in Business, Sensex, Stock Market Updates & More.

Other useful Links


Follow us on


Download et app


Copyright © 2019 Bennett, Coleman & Co. Ltd. All rights reserved. For reprint rights: Times Syndication Service