8,281.10-379.15
Stock Analysis, IPO, Mutual Funds, Bonds & More

Sonam Kapoor upset with Ali Abbas Zafar's 'Mr India' announcement; calls it 'disrespectful' to have not consulted Anil Kapoor, Shekhar Kapur

Earlier, Kapur had also reacted to the news of the trilogy based on his iconic film.

ET Online and Agencies|
Last Updated: Feb 24, 2020, 09.47 AM IST
0Comments
Agencies
ET Random Collage
Sonam Kapoor said that no one had bothered to consult her father or Shekhar Kapur about the reboot.
NEW DELHI: Sonam Kapoor-Ahuja, on Saturday, took to social media to respond to the announcement of Ali Abbas Zafar's 'Mr India' trilogy.

The 34-year-old star said it was disrespectful that the original creators of cult classic weren't involved and consulted for the remake of the film.

Earlier this week, the director had in a tweet shared that he was partnering with Zee Studios for the trilogy based on the 1987 Shekhar Kapur-directed movie, which featured Anil Kapoor as Mr India and the late Sridevi as a journalist.


"A lot of people have been asking me about the 'Mr India' remake. Honestly my father didn't even know the film was being remade, we found out about it through social media when @aliabbaszafar tweeted.

"It's quite disrespectful and underhanded if it is true, since no one bothered to consult my father or Shekhar uncle, two people who played a major role in making the film what it was and is," Sonam wrote on social media.

The actor added that the original creators should be respected and one shouldn't encash on the popularity of the film.

"It's sad because that was a film made with heart and hard work and is very sentimental to my father, beyond commerce and announcements, it's a part of his legacy. I should hope they respect for someone's work and contribution is still as important to us as a big weekend at the box office," she added.


Earlier, Kapur had also responded to the news of the trilogy, saying, "No one has even asked or mentioned to me about this film called 'Mr India 2'. I can only guess that they using the title to get a big weekend. For they cannot use the characters/story without permission from the original creators of the film."




Also Read

I gave it all to you: Javed Akhtar tells Shekhar Kapur his claim on 'Mr India' can't be more

Sachin Tendulkar shares first 'driverless' parking experience, jokes about 'Mr. India'

It's happening: After 32 yrs, Boney Kapoor confirms a 'Mr India' reboot

Modi is Mr India & all’s well with the economy

Comments
Add Your Comments
Commenting feature is disabled in your country/region.

Popular Categories


Other useful Links


Copyright © 2020 Bennett, Coleman & Co. Ltd. All rights reserved. For reprint rights: Times Syndication Service