Sunny Deol will have to pay over Rs 1.74 lakh for a Facebook fanpage
Given information about social media pages to the Election Commission is mandatory.
- Dharmendra campaigns for son Sunny Deol in Gurdaspur; says he's a patriot, not politician
- Sunny Deol campagins in Nawan village, says he will only give importance to developmental issues
- BJP's Sunny Deol files nomination from Gurdaspur; visits Golden Temple
- Lok Sabha elections: Youth to be Sunny Deol's main priority; plans to create employment opportunities
- 'Inspired' by PM Modi, actor Sunny Deol joins BJP; likely to contest from Gurdaspur
Acting on the complaint of the Congress on May 6, Chief Electoral Officer S. Karuna Raju said an inquiry was conducted by a Nodal Officer of the Media Certification and Monitoring Committee of Gurdaspur.
Poll-Pourri: Sunny Deol, Urmila & Other Stars Who've Joined Politics
Stars Of Politics
A notice was also served on the admin of 'Fans of Sunny Deol' page and the BJP candidate to seek their explanation, but both failed to reply within the time-frame.
He said the monitoring committee decided to add Rs 1,74,644 to the expenditure of Deol.
Complainant Himanshu Pathak, who is the Congress vice-president, said Deol had not given information about this social media page to the Election Commission, which is mandatory.
He said the page was created on Facebook on April 30, through which lakhs of rupees were being spent on Deol's social media campaign.
Deol, 62, is a Bharatiya Janata Party-Akali Dal alliance candidate from Gurdaspur, the seat represented four times by yesteryear actor Vinod Khanna, who passed away due to cancer in April 2017.