The NDA is banking on Modi’s campaign. “When the PM takes the campaign in his hands and addresses the people alongside Nitish, the narrative will change and people may feel that he is better than the loot-khasot-ki-sarkar of the opposition,” says Sanjay Kumar, director, CSDS.
- 'Lalten yug' has ended in Bihar: Nitish Kumar
- Nitish refrains from saying anything against Chirag Paswan or Lok Janshakti Party
- Rashtriya Janata Dal manifesto for Bihar polls: 10 lakh jobs, farm loan waiver
- Bihar assembly elections 2020: Why PM Modi raked up double engine govt slogan
- One election, varied issues: Why this Bihar poll battle is not like the last three
- First round of reskilling plan for 50,000 migrant workers in Bihar
- Demand to restore Article 370 in J&K is insult to Bihar: PM Modi
Modi, who addressed election meetings also at Gaya and Bhagalpur on Friday, came out strongly in support of chief minister Nitish Kumar in a show of solidarity aimed at ending speculations over a BJP-Janata Dal (U) rift.
- Anti-incumbency a challenge for NDA in Pataliputra
In 2015, RJD had won three seats and Congress, JDU and BJP had won one each. These six constituencies are Danapur, Maner, Bikram, Paliganj, Masaurhi and Phulwari.
- Promise of 19 lakh jobs akin to Rs 15 lakh in bank accounts: Rahul Gandhi in Bihar
Addressing an election rally in Bihar, Rahul Gandhi alleged that Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Chief Minister Nitish Kumar broke the backbone of the farmers and medium and small businesses in the state.
Will protests over new farm bills impact Bihar voting?
- Lalu coming out on bail on November 9, Nitish's farewell next day: Tejashwi Yadav
"Lalu ji is getting released on November 9. He has got one bail and will secure another on November 9, which also happens to be my birthday. The next day, Nitishji will have his farewell, Tejashwi said in a poll rally.
- PM Modi "insulted" soldiers when he said nobody intruded into Ladakh: Rahul Gandhi
"They have seized 1,200 km of our land. But when the Chinese army intruded, why did our prime minister insult our soldiers by saying that nobody entered into the Indian side?" Rahul Gandhi said in a poll rally in Bihar.
- Bihar now has electricity, days of lantern over: Narendra Modi
Modi claimed people used to avoid buying a new car out of fear that a particular political party might get to know about their prosperity and they might end up getting kidnapped for ransom.
- Those who have history of making Bihar 'Bimaru' will not be allowed to return: PM Modi
Taking a swipe at the opposition alliance in Bihar, Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Friday invoked the alleged poor law and order in the state under RJD rule, and said people have decided that those who have a history of making Bihar 'Bimaru' will not be allowed to return.
- Bihar Polls: Parties promise micro credit, permanent jobs, safety to women
The JD(U) promises to give women clearing class 12 Rs 25,000 each, and every graduate Rs 50,000, apart from promising financial aid to boost women-run businesses.
- BJP-JDU is a win-win social coalition, not just poll alliance, says Dharmendra Pradhan
Union petroleum minister Dharmendra Pradhan has said the BJP’s alliance with the JDU is not a political, but a win-win social coalition.
- Ahead of Bihar elections, RJD leader Tejashwi connects with locals, the Lalu way!
On Thursday, he addressed 12 election meetings in the old Sahabad region which covers four districts
- Will present NDA's development agenda before people of Bihar: Modi ahead of rallies
The three-phase polls will begin from October 28 and end on November 7. The counting of votes is scheduled for November 10.
- JD(U) releases its manifesto;seeks to know from rivals source of money for fulfilling its poll promises
Bihar unit President of the JD(U) Basistha Narayan Singh and its working president Ashok Chaudhary released the party manifesto for the three-phase state elections at a press conference here. The manifesto puts a stamp to Kumar's assertions that after completion of "Saat Nischay"part I in his 2015-20 term.
- PM Modi begins Bihar campaign on Friday, will back Nitish Kumar as CM
Modi begins his campaign on Friday from Sasaram, Gaya, and Bhagalpur with Kumar sharing the stage. The BJP is keen to send a message of sizable turnouts to the Opposition, after RJD leader Tejashwi Yadav’s recent rallies created a buzz, although the party would not want to violate Covid-19 protocols, those in the know told ET.
- Bihar poll temperature set to rise further with Modi, Rahul campaigning Friday
In Gaya, JD(U) leader in the Lok Sabha Rajiv Ranjan Singh Lallan will share the dais with Modi along with former chief minister and president of Hindustani Awam Morcha Jitan Ram Manjhi. Congress leader Rahul Gandhi is also slated to launch his campaign in Bihar elections Friday.
- Refer to poll schedule to know when one will be inoculated: Rahul on BJP's 'free vaccine' promise
Congress leader Rahul Gandhi on Thursday took a swipe at the BJP for promising free COVID-19 vaccine in its Bihar poll manifesto, saying one has to refer to the state-wise election schedule to know when one will have access to vaccine.
- Tejashwi Yadav slams Yogi, says unemployment, poverty matter for Bihar polls
Lashing out at Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar, RJD leader Tejashwi Yadav said, even after ruling for 15 years, he does not know what are the provisions in the budget.
- Bihar assembly election: BJP manifesto promises free COVID vaccination, 19 lakh jobs
"In the fight against coronavirus, the NDA government has set an example in the country. It is our resolution that as soon as the vaccine will be approved by the Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR), every person in the State will be vaccinated," the manifesto said.
- Nitish Kumar mentally and physically tired, can't handle Bihar: Tejashwi Yadav
"I am again saying that Nitish Kumar is tired and cannot handle the State.Mentally and physically he is tired of handling the State," Tejashwi said while interacting with media.
- LSE alumna’s party: Where ‘Bihari’ is the only religion
The party was launched on International Women’s Day (March 8) this year with an ad blitz in major English and Hindi newspapers published from the state. The promo featured its founder Pushpam Priya Chaudhary standing in front of a bookshelf with the catchline “Bihar deserves better. And better is possible”.
- Battle for Bihar gets personal, Nitish Kumar rakes up issue of Lalu’s 'bahu' at rally
Nitish not only made an oblique attack on the Lalu family but also remarked to the audience, “Look at what kind of ill-treatment was meted out to an educated girl.”
- Bihar assembly elections: JD(U) netas too want Yogi to charm voters
Adityanath on Wednesday addressed a rally in Paliganj in support of JD(U) candidate Jaivardhan Yadav, pitted in a triangular contest with BJP rebel Usha Vidyarthy entering the fray as LJP candidate while Mahagathbandhan’s nominee is CPI(M-L)'s Sandeep Sourav.
- 1411 nominations filed for 3rd phase of Bihar assembly polls
Additional Chief Electoral Officer(ACEO) Sanjay Kumar Singh said the information on the scrutiny for the third phase, which took place on Wednesday, was yet to be received. The withdrawal of nominations has been slated for Thursday and Friday.
- Rahul Gandhi to kick off Bihar campaign in a joint rally with Tejashwi Yadav
The Gandhi-Yadav joint appearance in the Congress leader’s first campaign rally ahead of the Bihar polls is designed to drive home the message of total unity in the opposition alliance. Some leaders of the Left parties may also join them. After the joint rally with Yadav, Gandhi will travel to Bhagalpur to address another rally at Kahalgaon later in the day.
- EC frowns on political parties flouting Covid instructions; reminds them of penal action for violations
Taking a “serious view of the laxity on the part of political parties and candidates in terms of maintaining crowd discipline”, the ECI sought to remind political parties of its August 21 guidelines.
- Bihar Election: In Lalu’s absence, Tejashwi Yadav is the sole campaigner of his party
RJD has issued a list of 30 star campaigners for the elections, but only Tejashwi is campaigning on the ground. Tejashwi had addressed 51 election rallies by Wednesday evening.
- BJP-JD(U) alliance as 'superhit' as opening pair of Sachin-Sehwag in cricket: Rajnath Singh at Bihar poll rally
Calling the BJP-JD(U) partnership in Bihar as "superhit" as the opening pair of Sachin Tendulkar and Virender Sehwag in cricket, Defence Minister Rajnath Singh said one can debate on the quantum of development done by Nitish Kumar, but no one can point a finger at the chief minister on the issue of corruption.
- Congress manifesto promises 10 lakh jobs, farm loan waiver, Rs 1,500 unemployment allowance
Actor-turned-politician Raj Babbar released the manifesto titled 'Badlav Patra 2020' (The Document of Change) here at the partys state headquarters Sadaqat Ashram in the presence of national general secretaries Randeep Singh Surjewala and Tariq Anwar and AICC Bihar incharge Shakti Singh Gohil.
- Chirag Paswan hits out at Nitish Kumar, says he can return to CM chair only by highlighting Modi's work
Continuing with his tirade against Kumar, the LJP president charged the chief minister with having "anti-youth" thinking and promoting casteism and communalism on the basis of which "development can't be imagined."
- If Nitish Kumar wins elections by mistake, Bihar will be ruined: Chirag Paswan
Elections to the 243-seat Bihar Assembly will be held in three phases -- October 28, November 3 and 7 -- and the counting of votes will take place on November 10.
- Bihar polls: CM Nitish Kumar takes a jibe at rival Tejashwi Yadav's 10 lakh govt jobs offer
He urged people at a rally in Gopalganj to not get misled by such offers. Attacking the RJD, the CM asked how many jobs did the party create when it was in power from 1990 to 2005.
- Yogi Adityanath rakes up temple, Article 370 in Bihar poll campaign
Earlier in the day, Adityanath addressed two election meetings at Arwal (Arwal district) and Ramgarh (Kaimur) seeking votes for the NDA candidates. Both Rohtas and Kaimur districts share boundaries with Uttar Pradesh.
- Bihar polls: Nitish Kumar talks about women quota, gives prohibition go-by
Turnout of women voters increased to 59.92% in 2015 from 54.85%in 2005 while that of men went up to 54.07% from 50.7% during this period.
- Bihar elections: Tejashwi Yadav's promise of 10 lakh jobs draws crowds, NDA looks to counter
Yadav has been highlighting his promise to ensure at his first cabinet meeting (if the opposition alliance comes to power) that 10 lakh jobs are created in Bihar. This point, the RJD claims, is resonating on the ground and pulling in big crowds at his rallies.
- Nitish Kumar's JD(U) fields 46 candidates - including nine women - with criminal cases
The JD (U)’s list includes nine women candidates with criminal cases against them, but the party sought to justify their candidatures saying “our party’s concern to field as many women candidates has been taken into consideration” while selecting such candidates.
- Blackmoney, inducements worth over Rs 35 crore seized in Bihar; exceed 2015 poll figures
As per data available till Monday, the Election Commission (EC) appointed expenditure monitoring teams have seized cash and other illegal inducements like liquor valued at Rs 35.26 crore. In addition, Rs 79.85 lakh Nepalese currency has been seized in the state till now, the data said.
- 'Bihar: EC bans publication of uncertified ads on polling day and day before it
The EC had taken such a decision for the first time in the 2015 Bihar polls. Its proposal to ban political advertisements on election day and a day before has been pending with the law ministry for a few years.
- Bihar: 31% candidates in first phase of elections face criminal cases, says ADR report
According to the report, 30 (73 per cent) out of 41 candidates analysed from the RJD have declared criminal cases against themselves and 22 (54 per cent) have declared serious criminal cases against themselves in their affidavits.
- As Tejashwi Yadav, Chirag Paswan defend their fathers' legacies, others from political families take poll plunge
Chirag Paswan, to whom his father Ram Vilas Paswan had passed on the baton of the Lok Janshakti Party (LJP) in his lifetime, is ploughing a lonely furrow in the absence of the wise counsel of his father, the redoubtable Dalit leader from Bihar with a national appeal, who died a few days ago.
- Bihar Election: Mahagathbandhan candidate Tejashwi Yadav attacks BJP on not having a CM face
"If I am inexperienced then why are you (BJP) deploying full force against me? This proves that they are desperate. Is Nitish Kumar's face not working? BJP is the largest party in the world but they don't have any CM candidate," ANI quoted Yadav as saying.
- Bihar: 153 crorepatis in first phase poll fray
As per the affidavits submitted to the returning officers, 58% candidates of the Grand Alliance (RJD-Congress and Left) and 60% of the NDA (BJP-JDU-HAM-S and VIP) are crorepatis with total assets ranging from Rs1 crore to Rs53 crore.
- Bihar Election: BJP trains guns on RJD candidates' criminal history, tie up with CPI-ML
The RJD has declared criminal antecedents of 61 of its candidates so far, out of the 144 who are being fielded by the party. Senior BJP leaders said even prominent candidates such as the opposition chief ministerial candidate Tejashwi Yadav and his brother Tej Pratap Yadav face corruption-cum-money laundering charges and domestic violence-cum-dowry harassment charges respectively.
- Bihar Assembly Election: Nitish Kumar’s shifting slot in the jigsaw puzzle that is Bihar elections
BJP has suspended its leaders who have accepted nomination as LJP candidates to contest the polls. The party has also urged the Election Commission of India to restrain LJP from using the name and picture of Prime Minister Narendra Modi in the poll campaign.
- Bihar elections: PM Modi may clear the air about LJP in Friday rally with Nitish Kumar
Both the BJP and Kumar’s JD(U) have been forced to clarify time and again that there is no underhand deal with the LJP – which has quit the ruling National Democratic Alliance in Bihar and put up candidates against the JD (U) – and any other rebels and that all the NDA members are firmly behind the leadership of Nitish Kumar.