Haryana election 2019 results: Key highlights
BJP has narrowly managed to retain power in Haryana. The outgoing chief minister Manohar Lal Khattar is set to form the government with support from independent candidates and probably from JJP also. Here are the highlights of 2019 Haryana Assembly polls.
- BJP emerged as the single largest party by winning 40 seats, but fell short of the halfway mark by 5 seats.
- The Congress, on the other hand, showed significant progress from its performance in the last Assembly elections by winning 31 seats. It had got 15 in the 2014 Assembly polls.
- BJP's vote share has come down to 36.49 per cent, which is 22 per cent less in comparison to the Lok Sabha polls but is three per cent more than the 2014 polls.
- Congress bagged 28.08 per cent votes.
- The nearly year-old Jannayak Janata Party (JJP) was victorious in 10 constituencies, making it a possible kingmaker, along with 7 Independents.
- The INLD, which ruled the state for four times, managed just one seat.
- Almost half of ruling BJP's sitting MLAs lost the elections, including eight ministers, as Haryana threw up a fractured mandate on Thursday. The losers included ministers Ram Bilas Sharma, Capt Abhimanyu and O P Dhankar. Some of the prominent legislators who lost included Latika Sharma, Prem Lata, Bakshish Singh Virk and Bhagwan Dass Kabirpanthi. As many as 21 sitting MLAs of the BJP lost to their rivals and at the same time more than half of the sitting legislators emerged as winners.
- The prominent winners are chief minister Manohar Lal Khattar, Anil Vij, Banwari Lal and Gian Chand Gupta. In the Congress camp, 9 members retained their seats while seven lost. Prominent losers included Randeep Singh Surjewala, Karan Singh Dalal, Chander Mohan while those who won are former chief minister Bhupinder Singh Hooda, Geeta Bhukkal, Kiran Choudhary and Chiranjeev Rao.
- Amongh other noted candidates, Wrestler and Olympic medallist Yogeshwar Dutt's star-power failed to create magic and lost to Sri Krishan Hooda of Congress.
- Another star wrestler Babita Phogat who contested on a BJP ticket in Dadri also lost.
- BJP roped in TikTok star Sonali Phogat for Adampur seat but she lost to Kuldeep Bishnoi
Stay on top of business news with The Economic Times App. Download it Now!