Important highlights of the day:
- Britain approves Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine as global Covid death toll nears 1.5 million
- Putin orders Russia to begin mass COVID-19 vaccinations
- Pfizer-BioNTech's COVID-19 vaccine to prioritise senior citizens
- World Health Organization to review Pfizer and BioNTech vaccine for possible listing for emergency use.
- North America seeing record-setting daily COVID-19 cases, says WHO regional director
- Board exams in 2021 will be in written mode only and not online: CBSE officials
- Phase-3 clinical trial of Covaxin commences in Kolkata
Assam reported 173 COVID-19 cases and 138 discharges today, says Govt. of Assam
Germany reports record 487 COVID-19 deaths in 24 hours
45 fresh cases push Nagaland's COVID-19 tally to 11,254; number of active cases now 720: Health department official
It's vital that we are not carried away with over-optimism or fall into the naive belief that the struggle is over. Today, in England, we have ended national restrictions, opening up significant parts of the economy.
- UK PM Boris Johnson on vaccination
North America seeing record-setting daily COVID-19 cases, says WHO regional director
Myanmar's COVID-19 cases increase to 93,600, 1,998 deaths in total
Board exams in 2021 will be in written mode only and not online: CBSE officials
Certain countries seized opportunity to extend military, economic clout amid global struggle against COVID19: Army Vice Chief
In the midst of the global struggle against the coronavirus pandemic, certain countries seized the "opportunity" to extend their military, economic and political influence, Vice Chief of Army Staff Lt Gen SK Saini said on Wednesday.
Uttarakhand reported 516 new COVID-19 cases, 473 recoveries, and 13 deaths today, says State Health Department
Maharashtra reports 5,600 new COVID-19 cases on Wednesday; tally rises to 18,32,176; death toll reaches 47,357 with 111 fatalities: health official
Tamil Nadu reports 1,428 new COVID-19 cases, taking tally to 7,84,747, death toll reaches 11,733 with 11 more fatalities; active case count 10,999: Health dept bulletin
Tamil Nadu reported 1,428 new COVID-19 cases, 1,398 discharges, and 11 deaths in the last 24 hours: State Health Department, Govt of Tamil Nadu
19 more deaths, 1,990 fresh COVID-19 cases in Rajasthan bring toll to 2,350 and infection count to 2,72,400; number of active cases 26,710: Health department bulletin
COVID-19 positivity rate in national capital falling rapidly, it should drop to below 5 per cent in next few days.
- Delhi Health Minister Satyendar Jain
Andhra Pradesh reported 663 new COVID-19 cases & 1,159 recovered cases & 7 deaths in the last 24 hours, taking the total number of cases in the state to 8,69,412.
Gujarat reports 1,512 new COVID-19 cases, taking tally to 2,12,769; 14 fatalities push toll to 4,018: state health department
Haryana recorded 1,607 new coronavirus cases, 2,646 recoveries, and 32 deaths in the last 24 hours, according to State Health Department
Germany to keep restaurants, hotels closed until Jan. 10- sources
Putin orders Russia to begin mass COVID-19 vaccinations
- President Vladimir Putin ordered Russian authorities on Wednesday to begin mass voluntary vaccinations against COVID-19 next week as Russia recorded 589 new daily deaths from the coronavirus.
- Russia will have produced 2 million vaccine doses within the next few days, Putin said. Russia said last month that its Sputnik V jab was 92% effective at protecting people from COVID-19 according to interim results.
- Golikova said large-scale vaccination could begin on a voluntary basis in December.
Karnataka reports 1,440 new COVID-19 cases, 983 recoveries, and 16 deaths, according to the State Health Department
Punjab reported 604 new COVID-19 cases, 518 discharges, and 24 deaths today, says Govt of Punjab.
Total cases in the State rise to 1,53,308, including 1,40,772 recoveries and 4,842 deaths
Pfizer-BioNTech's COVID-19 vaccine to prioritise senior citizens
After United Kingdom (UK) authorised the use of Pfizer/BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine, a team of medical experts on Wednesday informed that senior citizens, who are more susceptible to dying from the virus will be prioritised during vaccine distribution in the country.
Chhattisgarh be given priority in COVID-19 vaccination: CM to PM
Chhattisgarh Chief Minister Bhupesh Baghel has written to Prime Minister Narendra Modi for making available COVID-19 vaccine, when it is approved for use, for free to the tribal-dominated state on priority, an official release said on Wednesday.
UP records 1,799 fresh COVID-19 cases, 29 more deaths
BioNTech-Pfizer vaccine will be sent by plane or ferry to UK: Executives
BioNTech will send the COVID-19 vaccine it has developed with Pfizer in temperature-controlled boxes to Britain by ferry or plane, a senior executive said on Wednesday, as it prepares to deliver the shots in the next few days.
Tripura reports 38 new COVID-19 cases; tally rises to 32,764
Bengal minister Firhad Hakim becomes first volunteer to take COVID-19 vaccine 'Covaxin' in phase III trial in Kolkata.
Indonesia reports 5,533 new COVID-19 cases, 118 deaths
BioNTech Chief Medical Officer says do not see differences in efficacy across ethnicities, genders, age groups
I think at this stage it is very, very important that people do not get their hopes up too soon about the speed with which we will be able to roll out this vaccine.
- Boris Johnson
World Health Organization says it has received vaccine data from Pfizer and BioNTech and is "reviewing it for possible listing for emergency use"
BioNTech's Marett says he has been looking at transportation's impact on stability of vaccine, with eye toward care homes, and studies show ability to transport for up to 6 hours at 2 to 8 degrees
Second wave of COVID-19 in Karnataka is expected during January-February, 2021, says State's Technical Advisory Committee for COVID-19; recommends a minimum of 1.25 lakh testing per day till February end.
Poland passes 1 million coronavirus cases
Euro zone consumers go cashless as pandemic boosts cards' appeal, ECB says
- Euro zone consumers have been paying more with cards and less with cash since the coronavirus pandemic began, and they plan to continue doing so after it ends as shops make electronic payment easier, a European Central Bank survey showed on Wednesday.
- The outbreak was accelerating an existing, albeit gradual, move away from cash as new means of contactless payment using cards, phones and even watches become available.
Odisha caps price of RT-PCR test by private labs at Rs 400
Residents in care homes for older adults and care home workers are the highest priority.
- Prof Wei Shen Lim, Chair of UK's Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation on the administration of COVID-19 vaccine
UK Medicine regulator chief Raine says we will be watching very closely on the conditions/requirements
Safety of the vaccine has been scrutinised independently by our Commission on Human Medicines & no stone has been left unturned so absolute confidence in safety, effectiveness & quality of Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine.
- UK's medicine regulator MHRA chief Dr June Raine
UK's medicine regulator MHRA chief Dr June Raine on Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine:
Just 4,006 new COVID-19 cases were reported in Delhi in the last 24 hours. The Positivity rate on November 7 was recorded at 15 per cent and has declined below 7 per cent yesterday. It is decreasing at a good speed and is expected to fall beyond 5 per cent in the next few days.
- Delhi Health Minister Satyendar Jain
UK COVID-19 Vaccine committee chair Lim says on vaccine we hope 90-99% of those at risk of dying from Covid will be included in phase 1
Worldwide coronavirus cases cross 63.37 million, death toll at 1,475,392
Germany hits a record for daily virus deaths
- Germany on Wednesday reported a record 487 new coronavirus deaths _ the country's highest daily toll since the outbreak of the pandemic.
- The country's disease control center also said 17,270 people had contracted the virus in the last 24 hours.
Delhi reports 3,944 new COVID-19 cases
- Total cases: 5,78,324
- Total recoveries: 5,38,680
- Death toll: 9,342
- Active cases: 30,302
Second wave of COVID-19 in K'taka expected during Jan-Feb
The panel has asked to keep ready by first week of January, the clinical facilities at an October level (when there was over 10,000 cases per day) in terms of beds, ICUs, ventilators, and so on, both in government and private hospitals or this could be ramped up at a short notice of 2-3 days maximum.
NGT says total ban on sale, use of all fire crackers during COVID-19 pandemic in NCR and all cities/towns where air quality is 'poor'.
Telangana reports 565 new COVID-19 cases, 1 death and 925 recoveries on 1st December
UK's Johnson hails "fantastic" news of vaccine authorisation
Based on the satisfactory result of the first two trials, this has been planned. We're one centre of the 24 centres across India. Total 25,800 volunteers will be given the vaccine dose in phase 3, with 1,000 volunteers here.
- Dr Shanta Dutta, Scientist G and Director, ICMR-NICED
West Bengal: Governor Jagdeep Dhankar inaugurates Phase 3 of Covaxin at the Indian Council of Medical Research- National Institute of Cholera & Enteric Diseases (ICMR-NICED) in Kolkata
Telangana reports 565 new COVID19 cases, 1 death and 925 recoveries on 1st December.
Phase-3 clinical trial of Covaxin commences in Kolkata
480 new COVID-19 cases and 669 recoveries reported in Odisha on 1st December
The total number of positive cases in the state at 3,19,583 till date, including 3,12,734 recovered cases & 5,046 active cases: State Health Department, Govt of Odisha
Odisha Government caps the price of RT-PCR test by private labs at Rs 400
UK approves Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine, first in the world
Positivity rate has declined below 7%. It is expected to go below 5% in the next few days. Currently, more than 1600 ICU beds are available in hospitals in Delhi: Delhi Health Minister Satyendar Jain on COVID-19 situation
SpiceXpress to extend logistical support in COVID vaccine distribution
Gujarat High Court orders compulsory community service at COVID19 care centres for those who do not wear masks, directs State Government to issue a notification