!1 New UpdateClick here for latest updates
British Airways temporarily lays off 28,000 staff: Union
Goa ministers to contribute one month salary to COVID-19 Fund
- The members of Council of Ministers in Goa have decided to contribute their one month salary towards COVID-19 fund, as per a statement on Thursday.
- This was decided at a Special Cabinet meeting recently.
- The statement further said that the IAS, IFS and IPS officers will also be contributing Rs 10,000 each towards the COVID-19 fund voluntarily.
Buses with foreign tourists intercepted, allowed to go to airport after paper verification: Police
The Delhi Police intercepted two buses with foreign tourists at the India Gate on Wednesday, but allowed them to pass after they furnished the permission to go to the airport, from where a special plane was to take them to their countries.
World Bank to roll out $160 bln emergency aid over 15 months
The World Bank on Thursday approved a plan to roll out $160 billion in emergency aid over 15 months to help countries deal with the impact of the global coronavirus pandemic. The board of the Washington-based development lender announced the first set of fast-track crisis funding, with an initial $1.9 billion going to projects in 25 countries, and operations moving forward in another 40 nations, the bank said in a statement.
22-year old home-bound TN man dies in Telangana after walking, hitching ride from Maharashtra
A 22-year-old student from Tamil Nadu returning home collapsed and died here after covering a distance around 450 kms from Wardha in Maharashtra by walk and using available mode of transport in the past nearly ten days in view of the national lockdown, police said on Thursday.
No fresh COVID-19 case in Noida, Gr Noida; Gautam Buddh Nagar tally stays at 48
No fresh coronavirus case was detected in Noida and Greater Noida on Thursday, with the total number of COVID-19 cases in Gautam Buddh Nagar staying at 48, officials said.
Global coronavirus death toll tops 50,000: AFP tally
The coronavirus pandemic has killed more than 50,000 people worldwide with nearly three-quarters of the deaths in Europe, according to an AFP tally at 1750 GMT Thursday using official figures. A total of 51,364 deaths have been recorded across the world, including 37,709 in Europe, with Italy registering 13,915, followed by Spain with 10,003, France with 5,387 and the United States with 5,316.
4,380 people examined for COVID-19 so far in Latur district
156 who attended Jamaat event quarantined in Ghaziabad: Official
The Ghaziabad health authorities have so far quarantined 156 people who had come to the district after attending a religious congregation held by the Tablighi Jamaat in New Delhi last month, an official said on Thursday.
1 more dead in Maharashtra, 68 year old from Nalasopara, total tally rises to 423
France reports 471 more coronavirus hospital deaths, toll tops 4,500: Official
Kerala government has asked for unrestricted movement of essential goods through the inter-state borders. The request was made to PM Narendra Modi by CM Pinarayi Vijayan today, a release from the state govt said.
Police in Kerala says, it has noticed hate campaigns based on fake news and has warned of tough action against those responsible
17 new Covid positive cases today in Andhra Pradesh, taking total number to 149
Bhopal: Four 'Jamaat' members test positive for COVID-19
Four members of "Jamaat" including three foreign nationals tested positive for coronavirus in Bhopal on Thursday, a senior official said.
Covid-19: TN unveils incentive package to step up equipment, drug manufacture
The Tamil Nadu government on Thursday unveiled a special incentive package which includes capital subsidy, interest subvention and purchase guarantee for industries to incentivise production of medical equipment and drugs to tackle the scourge of coronavirus.
1062 people in Maharashtra attended Delhi's Nizamuddin Markaz
COVID-19: 3 Nizamuddin Markaz attendees test positive in Himachal Pradesh, CM asks to keep close watch
COVID-19: Indian students stranded in Ukraine seek government help in evacuation
Indian students stranded in various universities of Ukraine have appealed for help and evacuation in the wake of the threat of the spread of coronavirus in the country and said the Indian embassy should contact them directly. The students told ANI that Indians studying in Dnipropetrovsk State Medical Academy and Ivano Frankivsk National Medical University Ukraine were facing various problems.
COVID-19: MHA exempts agri produce, anganwadi, AYUSH services delivery from lockdown
- Services involved in direct marketing of agricultural produce, 'anganwadi' workers and AYUSH related health facilities are exempted from the countrywide lockdown enforced to contain the spread of coronavirus, the Centre told states on Thursday.
- Union Home Secretary Ajay Bhalla wrote to the chief secretaries clarifying that people and logistics involved in the running of these services will be exempted on the lines of other essential services.
No new coronavirus death in WB, total cases rise to 53
Kerala govt not considering salary cut for its employees now: CM
DRDO develops bio suits for doctors, paramedics engaged in treating coronavirus patients
India's premier defence research institution DRDO has developed a "bio suit" to protect doctors and paramedics engaged in treating coronavirus-affected people from the infection. Scientists at several DRDO laboratories were involved in developing the "bio suit" which will act as Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) for the healthcare personnel, officials said.
New York City setting up mobile morgues to deal with growing COVID-19 casualties
- With coronavirus cases in New York, the epicentre of the pandemic in the US, continuing to surge, the city is setting up mobile morgues to deal with the corpses as hospitals and funeral homes begin to be overwhelmed by the growing number of casualties.
- “When you overwhelm the health system, you also overwhelm the death system,” Patrick J Kearns, a funeral director who operates three funeral homes in the New York City area, said in an article in The New York Times.
16 Haj houses across the country turned into quarantine centres: Naqvi
Coronavirus: UP CM asks officials to monitor situation at old-age homes
Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath has asked all DMs and divisional commissioners to monitor the situation at old-age homes in the state in the wake of the coronavirus outbreak, an official said on Thursday.
Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan has said that 157 people from Kerala who attended the Tablighi Jamaat at the Nizamuddin Markaz has been identified and the government has collected details about them. Most of them are under observation at home and the rest in hospitals
Puducherry seeks adequate Central assistance
Chief ministers of States who had participated in a video conference with Prime Minister Modi had made out a strong case for Centre's assistance to strengthen the facilities in hospitals and to meet the requirements of medical personnel such as masks, ventilators and other equipment to combat the coronavirus.
Democrats to postpone convention to week of August 17 : AP sources
COVID-19: Shah Rukh announces series of initiatives to help citizens
- Bollywood superstar Shah Rukh Khan on Thursday announced a series of initiatives to help the central and state governments in their fight against the coronavirus pandemic.
- The actor has taken the help of his companies -- Kolkata Knight Riders, Red Chillies Entertainment, Meer Foundation and Red Chillies VFX -- to provide support to the governments.
- "Given the enormity of the task, my team and I discussed ways to contribute in our own modest way. We have come up with a series of initiatives, which we hope will make a small difference," he said in a statement posted on the Twitter handle of Red Chillies.
27 new cases in Telangana today, taking the toll to 180
Gujarat: one more coronavirus case found, one patient dies
With one more person testing positive for coronavirus, the number of COVID-19 cases in Gujarat reached 88 on Thursday, while the death toll rose to seven with one patient dying. A 52-year-old man died in Vadodara due to the infection early Thursday morning, taking the death toll to seven, said Jayanti Ravi, Principal Secretary, Health.
Extend date for health insurance policy renewal till Apr 21: IRDAI to insurers
Insurance regulator IRDAI has asked insurers to extend dates for renewal of health insurance policies, which are expiring during the coronavirus lockdown duration, till April 21. A notification to this effect was issued by the Department of Financial Services, Government of India, on April 1, 2020.
GoAir extends ticket credit scheme for passengers till April 30
GoAir on Thursday announced an extension of its ticket credit scheme, which allows passengers who don't show up for a flight to use the fare amount on any booking within a year, from April 15 to April 30.
MHA issues 3rd Addendum to lockdown guidelines
Total number of Coronavirus cases in Madhya Pradesh has risen to 107 including 8 deaths: State Health Department
141 fresh COVID19 positive cases in last 24 hours, including 129 positive cases from Markaz Nizamuddin; Total 4 deaths including 2 from Markaz Nizamuddin: Delhi Government
Canada coronavirus cases rise above 10,000, death toll jumps by 21%
Bihar reports four fresh cases, total number reaches 28
Tamil Nadu to give Rs 1,000 to every ration cardholder
Fisheries Minister D Jayakumar on Thursday said that all ration card holders in Tamil Nadu will be provided with Rs 1000 assistance from April 2 to 13 as people in the state are struggling to get essentials goods due to three-week nationwide lockdown to prevent the spread of the coronavirus.
Iran's parliament speaker tests positive, is in quarantine
Iran's parliament says speaker Ali Larijani has tested positive for the new coronavirus and is in quarantine.
COVID-19: Over 400 more test positive; PM hints at 'staggered' exit post 21-day lockdown
Pitching for efforts on a war footing to identify and isolate COVID-19 hotspots, Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Thursday hinted at a "staggered" exit from the ongoing lockdown after the 21-day period ends on April 14 while the nationwide tally of confirmed cases of the deadly virus infection crossed 2,300 with at least 73 deaths.
No. of coronavirus cases goes up to 293 in national capital; two more deaths recorded: Delhi health dept
Putin extends non-working period to end of April to curb coronavirus
President Vladimir Putin on Thursday said Russians will continue not going to work while receiving pay until the end of the month to combat the coronavirus. "I've taken a decision to extend the period of non-working days until April 30," Putin said in an address, adding that each region can decide what lockdown measures are needed.
10-month-old child, 2 others test positive for coronavirus in Punjab, Chandigarh
- One more person tested positive for coronavirus in Punjab, while two others, including a 10-month-old child, contracted the infection in Chandigarh on Thursday, officials said.
- With three fresh cases coming up, the number of coronavirus cases in Punjab and Chandigarh rose to 47 and 18 respectively, they said.
2 evacuated from Nizamuddin Markaz are dead; COVID-19 cases may shoot up: Kejriwal
Chief Medical Officer of Composite Hospital, CRPF, New Delhi tests COVID-19 positive
The Chief Medical Officer of Composite Hospital, CRPF, New Delhi has been tested COVID-19 positive. He has since been shifted to the isolation ward of AIIMS, Jhajjar, Haryana after his test report was received today, i.e 02/04/2020. The Transit Officers' Mess, where the Officer was staying, has since been sanitized and orders issued to immediately quarantine the working staff and guests/officers living there.No such info about ADG medical.
Out of the 9000 quarantined people, 1306 are foreigners & rest Indians
Maharashtra: 40 health workers of Shatabdi hospital in Kandivali have been quarantined after a patient undergoing treatment at the hospital was found to be COVID-19 positive
Haryana govt bans sale of chewing gum till June 30 to check spread of coronavirus
- New Delhi, Apr 2 (PTI) To prevent the transmission of coronavirus through spitting, the Haryana government has prohibited the sale of chewing gum in the state till June 30 and asked authorities to effectively implement the ban on gutkha and pan masala.
- "COVID-19 transmits through droplets. There may be a possibility of transmitting COVID-19 by spitting of chewing gum/bubble gum towards another person," the state government's Food and Drug Administration department said in the order.
First death due to COVID-19 in Haryana as positive cases rise to 35
Haryana on Thursday reported first death in the state due to COVID-19 infection as a 67-year-old Ambala resident, also having multiple ailments, passed away at the PGIMER here, amid a rise in corona-positive cases to 35, a senior official said.
Indonesia frees 18,000 inmates from bursting jails over virus fears
Indonesia has released some 18,000 inmates in a desperate bid to stop coronavirus from rampaging through its notoriously overcrowded prison system, authorities said Thursday.
Chief Minister of Himachal Pradesh Jairam Thakur has directed the health authorities that Shri Lal Bahadur Shastri Government Medical College and Hospital, Ner Chowk, district Mandi be completely dedicated for COVID-19
148 people who attended Tablighi Jamaat congregation in Delhi quarantined in Assam
COVID-19: Three more test positive in Himachal Pradesh; total now 6
Three people tested positive for coronavirus in Himachal Pradesh on Thursday, taking the total number of cases in the state to six, Additional Chief Secretary (Health) R D Dhiman said here.
Uber to deliver household essentials to consumers, ties up with bigbasket
- Ride-hailing platform Uber will now deliver household essentials to customers and has partnered with bigbasket for the service amid the ongoing countrywide lockdown.
- Uber, which is in discussions with other supermarkets and pharmacies for offering similar delivery services, said two-wheelers (UberMoto) and four-wheelers (UberGo and UberXL) and network of driver-partners will help support delivery of essential supplies safely to consumers' doorsteps.
Couple tests positive for COVID-19 in Morena, MP count 100
- A married coupletested positive for coronavirus in Morena district of Madhya Pradesh on Thursday, taking the total number of COVID-19 cases in the state to 100, an official said.
- A 45-year old man and his 43-year-old wife were found to have contracted the virus, said district collector Priyanka Das.
Dharavi COVID-19 death: Contact tracing, testing as per protocol being conducted, says health ministry
"Medical Superintendents reported that patients, particularly those transferred from Markaz,are creating law & order problem & commotion in hospitals"