!1 New UpdateClick here for latest updates
Wrap up: All you need to know about the pandemic
- Mumbai cases crossed 45,000, as 1,150 new cases were reported.
- Maharashtra cases crossed the 80,000 mark.
- The state's death toll also spiked the highest in a day to 2849.
- Delhi's death toll reached 708.
- WHO stresses the importance of wearing face masks in public.
- A UK trial shows theres "no benefit" from hydroxychloroquine for virus.
- China's Wuhan city discharges last three COVID-19 patients from hospital
- NHRC allowed to suggest measures to deal with plight of migrant workers
There is absolutely no shortage of beds for COVID-19 patients in the city at the moment.
- Delhi Heath Minister Satyendar Jain
Telangana reports 143 new cases
Pune Municipal Corporation issues show-cause notice to private hospital in the city for allegedly denying treatment to two patients.
Goa reports 30 new cases
- Total number of cases reach 196.
16 Rohini jail inmates, 12 staff of Delhi Prison tested positive
- Among the 12 staff members, one from jail number 10 of Tihar has recovered and tested negative, the official said.
- The rest of the staff members have mild symptoms. Two have been admitted in the hospital while the rest are currently under home quarantine, the official said.
- A 28-year-old inmate of Rohini jail was the first who tested positive for the disease in May. He was asymptomatic
Air India opens bookings for around 300 flights to various countries including USA and UK under phase-3 of Vande Bharat Mission
Haryana reports 316 new cases
- Total number of cases reach 3,597 and 24 deaths.
Kin of each Maharashtra cop who died of COVID-19 to get Rs 65 lakh
- Maharashtra Home Minister Anil Deshmukh on Friday said that the state government would provide Rs 65 lakh compensation to the kin of each police personnel who died due to COVID-19 in the state.
- Talking to PTI, he also said that one family member of each deceased police personnel would be given a government job.
- Till Thursday, at least 30 police personnel, including an officer, have died due to COVID-19 in the state, while over 2,500 have tested positive for the infection, an official has said.
Jharkhand reports 79 new cases
- Total number of cases reach 922, with 7 dead.
As COVID-19 cases spike in Delhi, recovery rate descends
- As coronavirus cases in the national capital have spiralled in the last 10 days, the recovery rate has dipped to 39.58 per cent as reported on June 4, according to official figures.
- With regard to the death toll, Delhi stands third (650) after Maharashtra (2,710) and Gujarat (1,155) respectively.
- This is the first time in the past two weeks that the recovery rate has fallen below 40 per cent.
NHRC allowed to suggest measures to deal with plight of migrant workers
- The Supreme Court on Friday allowed human rights body NHRC to intervene in the case related to plight and miseries of stranded migrant workers due to pandemic-induced nation-wide lockdown.
- A bench of Justices Ashok Bhushan, SK Kaul and MR Shah reserved its order on the suo motu (on its own) petition saying it intends to give 15 days to the Centre and state governments for sending to native places the all the migrant workers who want to return home.
- The top court, in the proceedings held through video conferencing, also said that the workers in return be registered by the authorities for extending benefits of welfare measures including employment opportunities in home states.
Rajasthan reports 222 new cases
- Total number of cases reach 10,084.
Mumbai reports 1,150 new cases
- Total cases are reach 45,854.
- Death toll in the city reached 1,518, after 53 new deaths were added to the tally.
Noida: Online link to report issues of containment zones, health, sanitisation
- Residents of Noida and Greater Noida can now online report grievances related to containment zones, sanitisation and other health issues for their speedy redressal, officials said on Friday.
- The public health grievance redressal system launched by the Gautam Buddh Nagar administration can be accessed at https://t.co/WdpqaJk2d5.
- District Magistrate Suhas L Y took to Twitter to announce the launch of the service and shared a link to the online form.
Delhi reports 1,330 new cases
- Total number of infections is now 26,334.
- Death toll in the capital stands at 708.
J&K reports 182 new cases
Wear masks in public says WHO, in update of COVID-19 advice
- The World Health Organization (WHO) updated its guidance on Friday to recommend that governments ask everyone to wear fabric face masks in public areas where there is a risk of transmission of COVID-19 to help reduce the spread of the pandemic disease.
- In its new guidance, prompted by evidence from studies conducted in recent weeks, the WHO stressed that face masks were only one of a range of tools that can reduce the risk of viral transmission, and should not give a false sense of protection.
PM Modi assures India's support in Rwanda's efforts to fight coronavirus
Aurangabad woman dies of COVID-19 week after delivering child
- A 30-year-old coronavirus positive woman died on Thursday evening a few days after she gave birth to a girl in Aurangabad in Maharashtra, an official said.
- She was admitted to Government Medical College and Hospital here for kidney ailments on May 28, gave birth on the same day, and tested positive the next day, he said.
40,261 people have died with coronavirus in the UK
- The UK is only the second country to report more than 40,000 deaths
'No benefit' from hydroxychloroquine for virus, shows UK trial
- A major British trial of hydroxychloroquine has found it has "no benefit" for patients hospitalised with the coronavirus, researchers said Friday, announcing they had stopped tests of the drug.
- "We have concluded that there is no beneficial effect of hydroxychloroquine in patients hospitalised with COVID-19," said a statement from the chief investigators in the Recovery trial, which is run by the University of Oxford and is testing a number of potential treatments for the new coronavirus.
- They added they would stop "with immediate effect" recruiting patients to be given hydroxychloroquine, an old malaria and rheumatoid arthritis drug favoured by US President Donald Trump.
Uttarakhand reports 16 new cases
- Total count is now 1,215.
Gujarat reports 510 new cases
- Total cases reach 19,119.
- The state also reported 35 new deaths, taking the tally to 1,190.
West Bengal reports 427 new cases
- Total number of cases reach 7,303.
- Death toll increased by 11, taking the total to 294.
Pakistan authorities shut over 3,000 shops, markets
- Pakistani authorities backed by security forces shut down more than 3,000 shops and markets across the country in a series of raids for violating social distancing regulations, after COVID-19 cases surpassed those in neighbouring China.
- The virus has spread at a fast pace since Prime Minister Imran Khan eased a lockdown in May.
- Pakistan on Friday reported 68 more coronavirus-related deaths, raising its overall fatalities to 1,838. As many as 4,896 more people tested positive in the past 24 hours, the highest single-day infections, bringing the overall to 89,249.
Chhattisgarh reports 90 new cases
- Total cases reach 863, with 2 deaths.
Maharashtra reports 2,436 new cases
- Total number of cases are now 80,229.
- Death toll increased by 139, which is the highest spike for the state, taking the tally to 2849.
UP reports 502 new cases
- Total cases in the state are now 9,733.
- Death toll increased by 12, taking the grim tally to 257.
Chandigarh imposes strict fine for violating home quarantine
Sabarimala temple visit will be limited to 50 people at a time and the crowd will be regulated using virtual queue management system
Punjab reports 46 new cases
- The state has reported 2461 cases so far.
- Death toll is 48.
Tamil Nadu reports 1,438 new cases
- Total cases in the state are now 28,694.
- Death toll increased by 12, taking the tally to 232.
Dharavi reports 20 new cases
- Total number of cases in the area are now 1889, with death toll at 71.
Kerala reports 111 new cases
Puducherry cases reach 104, with 42 recovered
7 new cases of COVID-19 reported in ITBP in the last 24 hours. There are total 31 active cases & 177 have recovered till date.
- Indo-Tibetan Border Police (ITBP)
Karnataka reports 515 new COVID-19 positive cases from 5 pm yesterday to 5 pm today; taking the total number of positive cases in the state to 4835 including 3088 active cases. The death toll stands at 57.
- State Health Department
The total number of COVID-19 positive cases in the state stands at 389 including 197 active cases and 183 recovered. The death toll is at 5.
- Himachal Pradesh Health Department
JNPT converts its training centre to COVID-19 hospital
- Jawaharlal Nehru Port Trust (JNPT) is the country's biggest container handling port.
- It has converted its multi-skill training centre at Bokadvia in the state into 120-bed hospital.
- The training centre has been temporarily handed over, along with an ambulance, to the local authorities.
UP minister to undergo COVID-19 test as he visits hospital
- Uttar Pradesh Medical Education Minister Suresh Khanna visited a hospital in Meerut where positive patients are under treatment.
- Khanna had on Monday paid a visit to Government Medical College in Meerut to inquire about the well being of the patients.
- On the advice of doctors, Khanna will give his sample for coronavirus testing on Saturday.
CM Hemant Soren on cancellation of approval for BRO's drive to recruit labourers
Under Constitutional framework, Agriculture is a State Subject&Union Govt has no powers to make any legislation to deal with dynamics of agricultural production, marketing & processing. These are state matters, which individual states are best placed to handle & manage.
- Punjab CM
CM has rejected so-called reforms announced by Centre for Agriculture Sector as a brazen attempt to destabilise country’s federal structure & warned that it could pave way for disbanding MSP regime & foodgrain procurement regime, triggering unrest among state’s farmers.
- Punjab Government
Punjab farmers, industrialists woo back migrants with advance payments, return tickets
Maharashtra: Shops in Zaveri Bazaar in Mumbai open on odd-even basis from today
Govt labs have capacity of 9000 tests per day. We've launched a scheme under which ppl can contact private labs for sampling at home for which they'll charge Rs 1000 as service charge. They'll do sampling&test will be done for free in our labs.
- Punjab Health Minister BS Sidhu
High Court to partially resume functioning of its International Arbitration Centre; via video conferencing
It's not over until there is no virus anywhere in the world
Migrant labourers matter: Supreme Court reserves order for Tuesday
We are tracking migrant labourers returning to the state with the help of ASHA workers. 12,80,833 labourers have been tracked till now, out of which 1,163 are symptomatic. Their samples have been collected for test.
- UP Principal Secretary (Health), Amit Mohan Prasad
Another COVID-19 patient in Karnataka recovers after plasma therapy
- A COVID-19 patient, who was admitted to Victoria hospital
- The patient has recovered from the disease after he was administered convalescent plasma therapy.
- He is the second patient in the state who has recovered from COVID-19 after the therapy.
People board Indian Navy's INS Jalashwa in Male:
The UPSC civil service prelims exam will be conducted on October 4, 2020 while the main exam will be conducted on January 8, 2021.
UPSC Prelims 2020 Revised schedule released at upsc.gov.in
High blood pressure patients more likely to die from Covid-19: Study
- Patients with raised blood pressure have a two-fold increased risk of dying from the coronavirus.
- Patients with high blood pressure who were not taking medication to control the condition were at even greater risk.
Former Solicitor General & senior Supreme Court lawyer Ranjit Kumar:
Uttarakhand detects 46 more positive cases of COVID-19, taking total positive cases in the state to 1199. Active cases stand at 874 while 11 deaths have been reported so far.
- State Health Department
99 more COVID-19 positive cases have been reported in Bihar, taking the total number of cases to 4551.
- State Health Department
Senior lawyer P Narasimha, representing Uttar Pradesh Govt, tells the court that buses did over 10,000 trips to take 5.50 lakhs migrant workers from Delhi to Uttar Pradesh.