12,224.55-127.8
Stock Analysis, IPO, Mutual Funds, Bonds & More

Furore as Anant Kumar Hegde says Devendra Fadnavis returned central funds

Former union minister and BJP MP Anantkumar Hegde has claimed his party colleague Devendra Fadnavis was made chief minister in Maharashtra last month despite lacking majority only to 'protect' Rs 40,000 crore central funds under the CM's control from being 'misused'.

, ET Bureau|
Updated: Dec 03, 2019, 08.31 AM IST
0Comments
Fadnavis took oath to facilitate transfer of Rs 40,000cr to Centre: Anant Kumar Hegde, BJP leader
Fadnavis took oath to facilitate transfer of Rs 40,000cr to Centre: Anant Kumar Hegde, BJP leader
MUMBAI: A WhatsApp forward, used as campaign material in the Karnataka bypolls, has proved damaging for the Maharashtra BJP and former chief minister Devendra Fadnavis’s credibility. In one of the forwards, BJP MP Anant Kumar Hegde has claimed that Fadnavis had formed an 80-hour government in Maharashtra to send Rs 40,000 crore of the Centre’s money back to the Centre to avoid it from being “misused”.

Hegde made the remark just to show how the BJP would go out of the way to prevent money from being “misused”. However, this did not go down well in Maharashtra with politicians attacking the BJP and Fadnavis for “stealing” funds from Maharashtra and giving it to the Centre. The Congress, NCP and Sena called the move a “betrayal” of Maharashtra’s interests and slammed Fadnavis.

Shiv Sena MP Sanjay Raut said if this is true, it was an act of “treachery” on the state. “If this has happened, then it could be due to animosity against the state. The state’s financial situation is quite bad. In the past five years, the BJP has amassed more than Rs 5 lakh crore debt in the state and most of the money has been spent on the BJP’s publicity,” Raut told reporters in Nashik.

NCP’s Nawab Malik said, “This is not possible...” but if it is true, “then the Prime Minister would have to resign”.

BJP leaders in Maharashtra said two WhatsApp forwards have been circulating over the last few days. While Hegde spoke of the Rs 40,000 crore central funds in one of the forwards, the other forward speaks of Fadnavis joining hands with Ajit Pawar to ensure that the Sena-Congress- NCP government is not able to touch the funds meant for the bullet train project.

Fadnavis denied Hegde’s remarks and said, “This is totally false. I have not heard any of his statement.”

“Nothing like this has happened. The only decision I took was to announce an aid package to give Rs 5,000 crore for farmers. When I was caretaker chief minister, I did not take any policy decision,” he said.

Speaking on the other rumour about funds for the bullet train project being sent back, Fadnavis said, “The bullet train project is being done by a government company and the state’s only involvement is in giving land for the project. The Centre has not asked for any money from the state. Neither has the state given any money to the Centre,” he said.

Fadnavis said those who knew about the accounting practices and knew the workings of the Centre and the state knew that such a transaction was not possible.

Maharashtra government officials said it was unfortunate that WhatsApp forwards are being treated as Gospel truths. “Firstly, Rs 40,000 crore given by the Centre is grant in aid. It is not lying with us to give it back to them. On the issue of bullet train, the state’s only contribution is the land for the project. This is our equity,” a bureaucrat said.

Also Read

Devendra Fadnavis target of Maharashtra BJP leaders

Devendra Fadnavis is Leader of Opposition in Maharashtra Assembly

Devendra Fadnavis makes stunning comeback in Maharashtra

Devendra Fadnavis quits as Maharashtra chief minister

Devendra Fadnavis in Delhi to meet Amit Shah

Comments
Add Your Comments
Commenting feature is disabled in your country/region.

Other useful Links


Copyright © 2020 Bennett, Coleman & Co. Ltd. All rights reserved. For reprint rights: Times Syndication Service