The Economic Times
12,114.55-4.45
Stock Analysis, IPO, Mutual Funds, Bonds & More

Supreme Court orders transfer of NRC state coordinator to Madhya Pradesh

Supreme Court bench headed by Chief Justice Ranjan Gogoi on Friday ordered inter-cadre transfer of NRC state coordinator Prateek Hajela to Madhya Pradesh on deputation and directed the government to notify his transfer within seven days.

, ET Bureau|
Last Updated: Oct 19, 2019, 07.56 AM IST|Original: Oct 18, 2019, 11.48 AM IST
0Comments
SC transfers NRC Coordinator Prateek Hajela to Madhya Pradesh
SC transfers NRC Coordinator Prateek Hajela to Madhya Pradesh
NEW DELHI: The Supreme Court on Friday transferred Assam NRC coordinator Prateek Hajela to Madhya Pradesh. A bench led by Chief Justice of India Ranjan Gogoi gave no reasons for the sudden move.

The bench invoked its extraordinary powers to order an inter-cadre transfer of Hajela on deputation to Madhya Pradesh for the “maximum period permissible under the relevant rules/regulations”.

“The notification consequent to the above direction will be issued by the competent authority of the Union of India/state government forthwith, and in any case within seven days from today,” it said.

The bench will now hear the issue on November 26. The state government, in this case, has been represented by Solicitor General Tushar Mehta and standing counsel Shuvodeep Roy.

The decision took the state government by surprise. Sources said that a lot of work was still left. Those excluded from the National Register of Citizens (NRC) were yet to be given an explanation for it. Appeals against such exclusion can only be filed after this.

This adds to the uncertainty around the controversial exercise. The move to shift out Hajela came amid mounting criticism over the process which has left out over 4 million people in the draft stage alone.

Among those who wrote to the CJI criticising Hajela were former Assam chief minister Tarun Gogoi and MLA Pradip Kumar Bhuyan.

Tarun Gogoi pointed out that there was much resentment against the final NRC in every part of the state. Over 1.9 million people have been excluded from the final NRC, which was unveiled by Hajela on August 31.

“It was expected that the NRC authority would be more cautious and the final NRC would be errorfree, but unfortunately it has been found to be contrary, as lakhs of people belonging to all communities and religion were excluded from the list, which has created a lot of confusion and uncertainty among them,” Tarun Gogoi said.

He also accused Hajela of not discharging his duty and responsibility effectively and efficiently, though he had coopted 50,000 staff into the exercise and spent over Rs 1,200 crore.

The NRC list has been rejected by all, he said.

Tarun Gogoi blamed the central government, the implementing authority, for the mess. Referring to the exclusion of former army officers, police officials, MLAs, ex-MLAs and family members of late president Fakhruddin Ali Ahmed, besides thousands of other Indian passport holders from the NRC, he said that if they are Indian citizens, why should they go to the foreigners’ tribunals? He also demanded to know the fate of those who had been included in the 2019 voters’ list by establishing their link to the 1966 voters list.

Also Read

AASU welcomes Supreme Court decision on separate hearing

Supreme Court notices to centre on minority schemes

Supreme Court forms committee to auction Amrapali properties

Governments should respect freedom of press: Supreme Court

No open-court hearing on AGR: Supreme Court

Comments
Add Your Comments
Commenting feature is disabled in your country/region.

Other useful Links


Copyright © 2020 Bennett, Coleman & Co. Ltd. All rights reserved. For reprint rights: Times Syndication Service