Elon MuskCo-founder and CEO, Tesla
Birth DetailsJune 28, 1971 | Pretoria, South Africa
Bachelor’s degrees in physics and economics, University of Pennsylvania
$36.3 billion (as of May 28, 2020)
Elon Musk's Assets:
Elon Musk's Journey so far ...
Before you go ...
- The Boring Company
Elon Musk's Journey so far ...
- After being introduced to computers at the age of 10, Elon Musk soon learned the programming language BASIC. At 12, he developed a game called Blastar which he later sold for $500
- He moved to Canada in 1988 for college but transferred to UPenn, a few years later, from where he eventually graduated
- In 1995, he got into Stanford University for a PhD program but left just after two days. It was the time of the internet boom and Musk wanted to explore
- The same year, he partnered with his brother Kimbal Musk to start Zip2 -- an online maps and guides service -- which was sold to Compaq for $307 million in 1999, earning Elon $22 million
- He used some of the money from the sale to start his next internet venture, X.com, which provided online banking and payment services. In due course, X.com became PayPal and was eventually absorbed by eBay in 2002 for $1.5 billion, of which Musk took $165 million home
- Earlier in 2002, Musk founded a spacecraft company called Space Exploration Technologies or SpaceX to make space travel cheap and better accessible
- In 2004, he became one of the early and primary investors in Tesla -- an electric car company aimed at making the future of transportation more sustainable -- and joined the company’s board as chairman
- In 2008, SpaceX’s Falcon 1 became the first liquid-fuel rocket developed by a private firm to reach the orbit
- The same year, he became the CEO and product architect of Tesla and the company introduced an electric sports car called the Tesla Roadster
- In 2010, Tesla went public raising $226 million
- Tesla acquired SolarCity -- a clean energy company which Musk helped his cousins start -- in 2016
- Later that year, he launched The Boring Company to make transportation faster in cities
- In 2017, he started Neuralink which aims at developing a man-machine interface that could connect the human brain with computers
- Promoting the concept of reusable rockets, SpaceX’s Falcon 9 rocket and Dragon spacecraft took their second flight in 2017
- The Falcon Heavy, which was the world’s most powerful operational rocket of the time, completed its first flight in 2018. The rocket carried a mannequin called ‘Starman’ and Musk’s personal cherry-red Tesla Roadster along, which were launched into space
- Having invested in several other futuristic technology ventures, Elon Musk is one of the richest tech leaders in the world today
Before you go ...
- He was often bullied as a child and once, he was beaten up so bad that he had to be hospitalised
- He is said to have inspired the persona of the character ‘Tony Stark’ played by Robert Downey Jr. and is often referred to as the ‘real-life Iron Man’
- Elon Musk has made guest appearances in many notable Hollywood movies including Iron Man 2 and TV series such as The Big Bang Theory and Young Sheldon
Last Updated: 15/02/2021
Elon Musk News
- Why Warren Buffett won’t take the Reddit baitThe biggest omission from Buffett’s letter was any rumination on markets and valuations, nor were there signs that maybe he’d come to accept higher prices as the new normal.
- The good, bad and ugly truth: When ads become memesAs brands go all out with their campaigns on all mediums possible, an overload of ads – good or bad -- often makes them a part of our daily conversations or even trending memes on social media. Brand Equity looks into its process and impact...
- From Clubhouse to Twitter Spaces, social media grapples with live audio moderationModerating real-time discussion is a challenge for a crop of platforms using live voice chat, from video game-centric services like Discord to Twitter's new live-audio feature Spaces.
- Ark adds $171 million Tesla shares as short bets on ETF soarThe $26.6 billion ARK Innovation exchange-traded fund (ETF), one of the best-performing ETF's in 2020, fell sharply this week along with Tesla as momentum stocks pulled back sharply. Tesla shares account for about 10% of the fund.
- Did Mukesh Ambani just take a leaf out of Elon Musk's playbook?For now, Ambani's plan appears to be at cross purposes with his company's very basic foundation — fossil fuels, apart from being at odds with a whole range of business alliances that RIL has strived to set up, the most notable among them being the one with Aramco.
- Bitcoin climbs past $50,000 after backing from Ark’s Cathie WoodThe largest cryptocurrency advanced as much as 5.4 per cent to about $50,557 in Asian trading.
- Tesla sinks below the price at which it entered S&P500 indexThe stock dropped as much as 13% to $619 in New York, its biggest intraday decline since Sept. 8, before paring much of the loss to trade down 1% at 10:55 a.m.
- Flashback 2008: A broke Elon Musk predicts Tesla is the future. Twitter applauds him for not giving upIn an old video, Musk talks about Tesla losing money.
- Elon Musk loses $15 billion in a day after Bitcoin warningTesla’s decline was fueled in part by Musk’s comments over the weekend that the prices of Bitcoin and smaller rival Ether “do seem high.” His message -- via his favored medium of Twitter -- came two weeks after Tesla announced it has added $1.5 billion in Bitcoin to its balance sheet.
- Bitcoin pares losses after tumbling on Elon Musk’s price remarksBitcoin trimmed losses to 8% after plunging as much as 17% earlier Monday. It briefly came back below $50,000 in New York, giving up more than $8,000 in a matter of hours.
- Indian investors will see wealth erosion if government bans crypto tradeA ban on cryptocurrencies like Bitcoin may result in wealth erosion for about 1 crore Indian investors, including 10 lakh traders, who are estimated to own assets collectively worth over Rs 10,000 crore. Crypto entrepreneurs said that a ban won’t just hurt their business but also lead to gains for foreign firms and increased action on the black market.
- Bitcoin rally faces potential test from falling market liquidity“Market liquidity is currently much lower for Bitcoin than in gold or the S&P 500, which implies that even small flows can have a large price impact,” he wrote in a note on Friday.
- Crypto conundrum: Digital Currency future seems vague in IndiaWhile the world is basking in the glory of cryptocurrency, its future in India seems vague. Considering the gamut of opportunities it can bring around, many are looking at the positive impact it can have on the Indian economy.
- Bitcoin and Ethereum prices 'seem high,' says Elon MuskThe chief executive of Tesla Inc, whose recent tweets have fueled the digital-currency rally, made the remark on Twitter while replying to a user who said that gold was better than both bitcoin and conventional cash.
- Bitcoin hits $1 trillion market cap, surges above $56,000The world's most popular cryptocurrency rose to an record $56,620, taking its weekly gain to 18%. It has surged more than 92% this year.
- Bitcoin climbs above $53,000 as Elon Musk backs crypto over cash“When fiat currency has negative real interest, only a fool wouldn’t look elsewhere,” Musk said in a reference to the sub-zero returns on cash caused by negative-yielding debt. The comments pushed Bitcoin to a record on Friday, with prices climbing above $52,000.
- Is India about to miss the bus in leveraging cryptocurrency?A move by the country in favour of cryptos would attract global attention and support from the world’s financiers and technologists can put the country on the forefront of the rapidly evolving industry.
- Bitcoin is 'economic side show' and poor hedge against stocks: JP MorganCurrent prices are well above JP Morgan's estimates of fair value and the mainstream adoption of bitcoin increases its correlation with cyclical assets, which reduces the benefits of diversifying into bitcoin, the investment bank said in a memo.
- Elon Musk defends Tesla bitcoin move, says token less dumb than cashTesla, Elon Musk's car company, took both the corporate world and the cryptocurrency space by storm when it announced this month it had put $1.5 billion of cash into Bitcoin.
- Elon Musk says bitcoin is slightly better than holding cashHe also defended Tesla's action to invest in bitcoin, saying that the difference with cash made it "adventurous enough" for the S&P 500 company to hold the cryptocurrency.
- Hedge fund manager Gabriel Plotkin's GameStop short, dissectedOn Thursday, he spent more than five hours answering U.S. lawmakers' questions about how his firm Melvin Capital Management, which shed 53% of its value in January, lost so much money and whether it wasn't playing by the rules.
- 5 Scottish castles, 2 Prince pads in Hollywood or a historic US estate: Things $59m can get youRecently, a HK apartment set the record for price per square foot in Asia.
- Space exploration more about collaboration than competition, says Nasa's Dr Bhavya LalClimate change poses an existential threat not just to our environment but also to our health and well-being. Nasa will be expanding its climate change research. Another challenge we would be focussing on is to re-establish America’s standing through global engagement and diplomacy.
- The key data Tesla isn't putting out: Where Elon Musk, poster boy of clean mobility, should come cleanNot only does it not disclose the Scope 3 emissions (those dominated by emissions from the cars it sells), it doesn’t even lay out Scope 1 (from on-site power consumption) or Scope 2 (from purchased electricity). Nor does it disclose its electricity consumption, and its behavior indicates that, for all the rhetoric, this isn’t exactly a priority.
- Zerodha co-founder feels billionaires like Elon Musk should be held responsible for the GameStop sagaNikhil Kamath shares reasons why a GameStop-like scenario wouldn't happen in India.
DisclaimerThe content of this page has been aggregated from multiple websites. Some information can change over the passage of time.
BACK TO TOP