BSE:500413 | NSE:THOMASCOOKBE | 58888:tcook | IND:Travel Agen. / Tourism Deve. / Amusement Park / Catering | ISIN code:INE332A01027 | SECT:Tourism & Hospitality
The Company History page lists out the major events in chronological order for Thomas Cook (India) Ltd.
|Company History - Thomas Cook (India) Ltd.|
- Midland Bank Ltd., a major British Bank quoted on the U.K. Stock Exchange, acquired a majority shareholding interest in Thomas Cook Group and the remaining shares in 1977 making it a wholly owned subsidiary with a public issued in 1982, its shareholding was diluted.
- The Company was incorporated on 21st October, under the name Thomas Cook (India) Private Ltd. It was converted into a public limited company on 12th March, 1979. The Company is authorised dealers in foreign exchange, travel agents, tour operators and freight operators.
- Thomas Cook was the first organised travel agent in the world and he also invested in travel business. He commenced business in the United Kingdom in 1841.
- Thomas Cook also introduced travellers cheques which were originally called circular notes. It also a large trader in the buying and selling of foreign currency bank notes. - The consideration for the transfer of business was discharged in the following manner - (i) Allotment of 2,79,993 No. of equity shares of Rs 10 each at par without payment in cash amounting to Rs 27,99,930 and (ii) Interest free loan repayable in five equal annual instalments amounting to Rs 30,99,485.
- Seven equity shares of Rs 10 each issued for cash to the nominees of Thomas Cook Overseas Ltd., England were subsequently transferred to Thomas Cook Overseas Ltd., England.
- 7 shares subscribed for by the nominees of Thomas Cook Overseas Ltd., U.K., 2,79,993 shares reserved and allotted to Thomas Cook Overseas Ltd., U.K., without payment in cash. 1,05,000 shares to State Bank of India and 35,000 shares to Indian working directors/employees of the company were reserved and allotted. 2,80,000 shares offered at par to the public in December.
- 3,50,000 Bonus shares issued in prop. 1:2.
- The Company an launched an `Executive Plaza' at Mumbai. The Company had also received an approval from RBI for operating exchange bureaus at International Airports.
- 5,25,000 bonus shares issued in prop. 1:2.
- The Company proposed to open a foreign exchange bureau at Goa and a full fledged branch at Ahmedabad, counters at Mumbai & Delhi International Airports, Thiruvananthapuram International Airports, with which the Company can operate through its 27 locations in 12 cities in India.
- The Company made requisite applications for investing in the share capital of Hindustan Cargo Pvt. Ltd., incorporated on 7th December, with a view to making it a wholly-owned subsidiary of the Company.
- India Alive Tours Ltd., Thomas Cook Tours Ltd., and Indian Horizon Travel & Tours Ltd., are subsidiaries of the Company.
- 15,75,000 bonus shares issued in prop. 1:1 on 28th December.
- The Company recommenced capitalisation of Reserves by issue of 21,00,000 shares for 31,50,000 shares held i.e. bonus issue in the ratio of 2:3. This is basically to adjust the disparity between the paid-up capital of Rs 315 lakhs and the distributable reserves of Rs 2619.4 lakhs as at 31st December.
- The Company had launched a Mobile Exchange Bureau in Mumbai in June.
- During December, the Company issued 35,00,000 bonus equity shares in proportion 2:3.
- The Company tied-up with Conard Cruise Lines and was appointed as their GSA's in India. The Company was appointed by Club med, World's largest holiday resort, as their selling agent in Western and Southern India.
- Thomas Cook has introduced Delhi's first mobile forex bureau. This is the company's second mobile van in the country.
- Thomas Cook (India) has proposed to issue bonus shares in the ratio of two shares for every three shares held, on encouraging results.
- The joint venture between State Bank of India (SBI) and Thomas Cook has identified two of SBI branches in Goa, Callangute and Maragaon to launch its travel-related products.
- Thomas Cook India (TCI) has introduced a unique service disaster recovery service in collaboration with Europe Assist of France.
- Thomas Cook India (TCI) has launched `Money Gram', to help travellers to overcome any financial crunch while their visit in India.
- Thomas Cook (India), a 40% subsidiary of one of the world's oldest travel companies, Thomas Cook UK, has reported an encouraging performance for 1997.
- For the first time ever, India's biggest travel company, Thomas Cook India, and Hong Kong Bank have come together to introduce two credit cards which take away the pain from arranging foreign exchange and making rupee payments up front.
- Interestingly, the debit card is the latest product to be introduced by Thomas Cook International and has been launched in Britain
- Thomas Cook India Ltd, the largest player in the travel trade, has become one of the first companies in India to enforce a formal code of business ethics and conduct for its employees and business associates.
- Thomas Cook India Ltd (TCIL) TCIL will be expanding overseas through a newly floated subsidiary - Thomas Cook Mauritius Holding Company Ltd (TCMHC).
- Thomas Cook (India) Ltd is planning to enter the credit card business. The Indian subsidiary of the foreign exchange and travel business major Thomas Cook is currently negotiating with a couple of foreign banks for collaboration.
- Thomas Cook is the first company to introduce the concept of travel money card in India in association with Visa.
- Thomas Cook, leading international travel and financial services company, has launched its travellers cheques in the new euro currency.
- Thomas Cook has introduced the Euro Travellers cheque. These cheques can be bought at any Thomas Cook outlet alongside its existing range of foreign currency cheques in US, Australian and Canadian dollars, UK pound sterling, French francs, Deutsche marks, Swiss francs, Japanese yen and Dutch guilders.
- Leading travel house Thomas Cook has pitched for international Travel House (ITH), a subsidiary of tobacco major ITC Ltd.
- Thomas Cook India Ltd. has launched `global travel services' in the Indian market. The travel services will offer a range of travel, financial, emergency and other special services. India is the second country after the UK where the product has been launched.
- Thomas Cook and Tourisme France International have signed an agreement for promoting the new product in India.
- Thomas Cook India (TCI) has lined up a major expansion plan which includes acquisition of rivals, foray into insurance and setting up of a 100 per cent subsidiary in Mauritius.
- The Indian subsidiary is contributing nearly 10 per cent to Thomas Cook's global profits.
- The company has launched Visa Travel Money Card, a prepaid ATM card which enables the traveller to withdraw local currency from more than 44,000 Visa ATMs cash dispensers across 117 countries worldwide.
- Thomas Cook (India) Ltd will launch an e-commerce website that will function as a one-stop information centre by November.
- Thomas Cook had opened a 100 per cent subsidiary in Mauritius to look after the marketing operations in Burma, Mauritius, Seychelles and the whole of SAARC region.
- Thomas Cook (India) Ltd (TCIL) in league with Standard Chartered Bank (Stanchart), launched a co-branded global credit card targeted at the `serious traveller', a worldwide first for the Thomas Cook Group.
- India is the second biggest market for Thomas Cook after the UK.
- Thomas Cook (India) Ltd will soon be launching a domestic call centre for product information as well as for support and service, including emergency services for its customers.
- The Credit Rating Information Services of India Ltd (Crisil) has assigned the highest safety ratings to the debt programms of GE Capital Services (GE Caps), Thomas Cook (India) Ltd (TCIL) and AMP India Ltd.
- Thomas Cook has introduced professional travel help for the first time in India, launching a "Global Help Card" called "Friend".
- Travel and forex house the Company was in talks with Travel Corporation of India for a possible tie-up or acquisition.
- The Company has taken over the largest domestic in bound tour operator Travel Corporation of India.
- The Board considered a proposal for incorporation of a wholly-owned subsidiary company in Srilanka and/or acquiring the existing business of Thomas Cook Overseas Ltd., UK's branch in Sri Lanka.
- In a rather unusual arrangement, the Katgaras of Travel Corporation of India will continue to manage TCI even after the agency has been taken over by the Mumbai-based travel major Thomas Cook India.
- Thomas Cook India Ltd. launched the International Airline Passenger Association (IAPA) card in India. The Company's card poducts division has also signed an exclusive marketing partnership agreement with IAPA for India and the seven SAARC countries.
- Thomas Cook India has tied up with Citibank India to launch Thomas Cook-Citibank Holiday Loans for holiday seekers.
2002-Thomas Cook India Ltd has informed that the Board of Directors at its meeting held on December 05, 2002 have appointed Mr K S V Krishnamachari as SBI Nominee in place of Mr R Sundararaman SBI Nominee on the Board of the Company effective December 05, 2002.
2003-Thomas Cook India Ltd informs BSE that the Board of Directorsthe appointment of Mr Stefan Pichler as a non-retiring Directors on the Board of the Company with effect from January 16, 2003. Mr Stefan Pichler is appointed by Thomas Cook Overseas Ltd.
- Thomas Cook India Ltd (TCIL) today (February 6, 2003) announces the appointment of Mr Stefan Pichler, Chairman and CEO, Thomas Cook AG, as its new Chairman of the Board. The appointment will take effect after the conclusion of the company's Annual General Meeting on February 24, 2003. Due to this, Mr Pradip Madhavji steps down from the position of Chairman of the company.
-Thomas Cook India Ltd has informed BSE that the Board of Directors at its meeting held on February 24, 2003 taken on record : 1. Appointment of Mr Stefan Pichler as a Non-Executive Chairman on the Board of the Company effective February 24, 2003. 2. Appointment of Mr Alan Stewart as Non-Executive Vice Chairman on the Board of the Company effective February 24, 2003. 3. Resignation of Mr P P Madhavji from the Board of the Company effective February 24, 2003. 4. Resignation of Mr M L Apte from the Board of the Company effective February 24, 2003.
-Thomas Cook ties up with Galelio India, to offer electronic ticketing for air travel in India.
-Company launches its Foreign Exchange Services at Bandaranaike International Airport .
2003-Company bagged the much coveted award for Corporate Governance, the prestigious Golden Peacock Award initiated by the Institute of Directors (IOD), a non profit organisation, in association with World Environment Foundation (WEF), Federation of Indian Chamber of Commerce and Industry (FICCI), World Council for Corporate Governance (WCFCG) and Centre for Corporate Governance.
-Thomas Cook sets up Mauritius office
-Thomas Cook India Ltd hasappointed Mr. Vinayak Purohit, as an Additional Director and Executive Director - Finance of the Company with effect from May 14, 2007.
-Thomas Cook India Ltd has informed that the Board of Directors of the Company at its meeting held on November 24, 2007, has taken on record the appointment of Mrs. Bharati Rao as a Nominee Director - State Bank of India on the Board in place of Mr. Y V Vijayanand.
-Thomas Cook India Ltd has announced that the Company on December 13, 2007 signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with JTB Corp. Japan, one of the largest travel solutions Companies in the world.
- The Company has splits its face value from Rs10/- to Rs1/-.
-The company has issued rights in the ratio of 35:100 at a premium of Rs.34.5/-Per Share.
- Thomas Cook Board recommends dividend @ 37.5%
- Thomas Cook promotes itself as the Holidaywallas
- Thomas Cook - Ties up with Shamrao Vithal Co-Operative Bank Ltd to expand
-Thomas Cook Opens new Franchisee in Pune.
- Thomas Cook - Thomas Cook enters a 7 year deal with Delhi International Airport Ltd
- Thomas Cook - Thomas Cook forges partnership with Xpress Money for Foreign Exchange remittance into India.
-Thomas Cook - Travel Corporation (India) Ltd. (TCI) completes 50 years,
- Thomas Cook - Thomas Cook to launch PGDM in International Tourism in partnership
- Thomas Cook - Thomas Cook Sport launches Match areas for football fans
- Thomas Cook - Thomas Cook Group starts Thomas Cook India formal sale process
- Thomas Cook (India) comes out with 5 new Gold Circle Partner Outlets to expand its reach in India
- Thomas Cook - Thomas Cook Sport launches exclusive packages for London Olympics 2012
-Thomas Cook (I) - Thomas Cook India launches path-breaking campaign
-Thomas Cook (I) - Thomas Cook India awarded "Best Corporate Travel Management
-Thomas Cook Indias Centre of Learning launches Disha 2013 Focus on research in tourism; announces winning research papers
-Thomas Cook (I) - Thomas Cook India launches 'Xplorer' for the adventurous Indian
-Thomas Cook India honoured Best Tour Operator- Outbound at CNBC AWAAZ Travel Awards
-Completion of Acquisition of Hofincons Infotech & Industrial Services Pvt. Ltd. by IKYA Human Capital Solutions Ltd. a subsidiary of Thomas Cook (India) Ltd.
-Thomas Cook India launches "Silver Breaks" - customized International and Domestic Holidays for senior citizens
-Thomas Cook (I) - Thomas Cook India partners Quacquarelli Symonds
-Thomas Cook (I) - Thomas Cook India wins India's Leading Tour Operator at World
-Thomas Cook (I) - Thomas Cook India partners with RBL Bank (Ratnakar Bank)
-Thomas Cook (I) - Thomas Cook India launches a pioneering Holiday Savings Account
-Thomas Cook India Launches City Breaks - dont just travel; Explore!
2015 -Thomas Cook (I) - Thomas Cook India receives Diamond Award for Exemplary Achievements in Visa Issuance -Thomas Cook wins 2 honours at the CNBC Awaaz Travel Awards -Thomas Cook (I) - Updates on Scheme of Arrangement and Amalgamation -Thomas Cook (I) - Thomas Cook launches Online Visas -Thomas Cook’s Travel Quest wins PATA Gold Awards 2015 -Thomas Cook (I) - Thomas Cook India targets large untapped inward remittances
-Thomas Cook Indias TCI wins top honours at the Government of Indias National Tourism Awards 2012-2013
2016 - Thomas Cook signs an agreement with State Bank of India to offer their Holiday Savings Plan to the bank s customers - Thomas Cook launches Domestic Coach Holidays portfolio - Thomas Cook India honoured at The French Ambassador’s Travel Awards - Thomas Cook India Partners with Mastercard to launch the Thanks Again loyalty programme for the India Market
2017 - Thomas Cook India creates a strategic annual property to expand India's holiday market - Thomas Cook (India) Ltd., launches unique leading integrated travel and travel related financial services company announced a strategic focus on children - Thomas Cook India acquires Kuoni Global DMS Network
Date Sources:Live BSE and NSE Quotes Service: TickerPlant | Corporate Data, F&O Data & Historical price volume data: Dion Global Solutions Ltd.
BSE Quotes and Sensex are real-time and licensed from the Bombay Stock Exchange. NSE Quotes and Nifty are also real time and licenced from National Stock Exchange. All times stamps are reflecting IST (Indian Standard Time).
Copyright © 2019 Bennett, Coleman & Co. Ltd. All rights reserved. For reprint rights: Times Syndication Service