BSE:509966 | NSE:VSTINDEQ | 58888:vst | IND:Cigarettes | ISIN code:INE710A01016 | SECT:Tobacco
The Company History page lists out the major events in chronological order for VST Industries Ltd.
|Company History - VST Industries Ltd.|
1930 - The company was incorporated at Hyderabad. The Company
manufactures and distributes cigarettes. The products are sold
under the trade names `Charminar Specials', `Shah-I-Deccan',
`Qila', `High Court', `Vazir' and `Ambassador'.|
1951 - 1,25,000 bonus shares issued in the prop. 1:3.
1952 - 5,00,000 bonus shares issued in the prop. 1:1.
1954 - Capital converted from O.S. currency to I.G. Currency (difference of Rs 1.67 per share capitalised from reserves).
1956 - 30,000 pref. shares issued for cash.
1966 - 1,00,000 bonus equity shares issued in the prop. 1:1.
1973 - 29,543 Pref. shares were redeemed at the close of business on 31st March.
1975 - In April, 17,70,000 shares issued to Indian nationals (prem. Rs 6 per share): 1,71,940 shares as rights, 50,000 shares to employee and directors and 15,48,060 shares to the public.
1977 - 22,62,000 bonus shares issued in the prop. 3:5.
1979 - Hallmark Tobacco Company, Ltd., was promoted and converted into a subsidiary of the Company. This subsidiary has manufacturing and selling agreements with the Company.
1981 - Hallmark Investments, Ltd., Tobacco Leaf Investments Ltd., Vaziar Investments, Ltd., VST Investments Ltd., VST Distribution Storages & Leasing Co., Ltd., and Tobacco Diversification Investments, Ltd., became wholly owned subsidiaries of the company. Hallmark Tobacco Company Ltd. is also a subsidiary of the Company.
1983 - With the extension of the Central Excise's & Salt Act, 1994 to the State of Sikkim the collaboration arrangements came to an end.
1984 - With effect from 10th August, the name of the Company was changed from The Vazir Sultan Tobacco Co., Ltd. to VST Industries Ltd.
1987 - With the introduction of a lower excise duty slab for cigarettes upon 60mm length in the non-filter segment, the Company launched `Vijay Virginia' and `Vijay Gold Flake' to take full advantage of the lower tax.
1988 - The Company embarked upon a major modernisation programme designed to improve its competitive ability in domestic and international markets.
1989 - The Company received an import licence for two sophisticated high-speed precision Logo Max cigarette making groups manufactured in France.
- The Company undertook to upgrade its existing laboratory facility into a well equipped R&D Centre.
- The Company issued 3,25,000-14% secured redeemable non-convertible debentures of Rs 100 each on private placement to UTI, LIC and Army Group Insurance Fund. These debentures are redeemable at premium of 5% in 5 equal annual instalments from the 6th September, 1994.
- 36,19,200 bonus shares issued in the prop. 3:5.
1990 - The Company launched "Kingston Mini Kings" Cigarettes in the United Arab Emirates. To increase its exports further, the Company developed fire cured, light soil Burley and other non-traditional varieties of tobacco.
1991 - A new brand by name "Kingston Dual Filter" was launched into the premium king-size cigarette segment, at Hyderabad, Mumbai and Pune and it was well received.
- Loga machines was installed. Loga machine No. 1 was commissioned in 1992.
- 57,90,720 bonus shares issued in the prop. 3:5.
1994 - During the year, the Company successfully marketed `Vijay Deluxe' and `Charminar Standard' non-filter cigarettes. The Company also launched the modern Sasib 20's pack of cigarettes.
- During the year, `VST Natural Products Ltd.' a new Company was incorporated in order to continue field trials for selected high value horticultural corporation.
1995 - The programmable logic control on makers and packers were commissioned.
- The Company agreed to collaborate with Rayong Industries Pvt. Ltd., Sikkim, for the manufacture of cigarettes in Sikkim. The Company supplied the necessary technical expertise for setting up a cigarette making factory at Rangpo, Sikkim.
1997 - The Company launched a extremenly distinctive and high quality cagarette called "Charms blues" line both in the premium king size segment and also in the regular size filter segment.
- The company has launched a voluntary retirement scheme to reduce at least 10 per cent of its manpower.
- VST is getting all the help from its parent company BAT Industries which is helping in its restructuring through its own tested methods. The objective is to make VST most cost effective and efficient organisation in the industry.
- BAT holds 31.6 per cent equity in VST while 24.51 per cent stake is held by institutions such as LIC and GIC. The public holds the largest share in the company to the tune of 34.76 per cent while the rest is with other corporate bodies and NRIs.
- It has been decided to relaunch the Charminar brand which has been one of the most popular low-priced cigarettes in the Indian market. Smokers often found Charminar cigarette product "very dry" and unsuitable to the palate, especially in areas where humidity was low.
- FIs hold 32.47 per cent of the company's equity, the foreign investors, BAT, hold a 33.27 per cent stake and the remaining 4.71 per cent is held by the domestic corporates.
- VST has an installed capacity to manufacture 33,007 million sticks of cigarettes per annum.
- VST runs neck to neck with Godfrey Phillips for the second spot accounting for approximately 15.5% of the domestic cigarette.
- VST has popular brands like Charminar and Charminar Standard in its mini and micro segments. In the filter segment, the company has brands like Charms, Charminar Special Filter and Gold Premium.
- VST had set up the 100 per cent export-oriented unit (EOU) in technical collaboration with High Value Horticulture PLC of the United Kingdom and Asia Ventures International of Israel with a pickling line to handle production of bottled, canned and pickled vegetables and an oleoresin plant.
- VST Natural Products, in the meantime, has entered into a strategic technology and marketing tie-up with Green Bay Foods, a division of the $2.8 billion United States-based food and pickle giant Dena Speciality Products Incorporated.
- Having set up the modern VSTNPL, the company is entered into techno-marketing agreements with global players in the field.
1998 - VST Ltd has shut down the primary manufacturing division (PMD) at its Azamabad factory following official flat regarding environment pollution. The Hyderabad district administration VST Ltd to shut down its Azamabad cigarette factory as it is causing intense air pollution in the state capital.
- VST commissioned its first primary manufacturing facility for tobacco processing in 1990. It has since, continuously modernised and upgraded its primary & secondary tobacco processing and cigarette manufacturing facilities to meet international standards.
- VST has installed the best pollution control equipment in the factory premises.
1999 - Additionally the company had launched `Blues Kings' a premium variant of its `Charms' brand in November 1997. The new product however did not live up to the expectations of the company.
- The company has appointed Rabo India Finance, a part of Rabo-bank International, to find a strategic partner for VST Natural Products, which is engaged in agri-product processing business.
2000 - In a move to improve the profitability and reduce labour costs, tobacco major VST Industries Ltd. has introduced a voluntary retirement scheme for its 1,600 strong work force.
- Fitch Ratings India has assigned a Ind D1+ rating to the Rs 10-crore commercial paper programme of the company.
2001 - British tobacco giant BAT Plc to increase shareholding in VST Industries.
-Recovers the losses its had witnessed on the food and financial services business.
-Andhra Pradesh Government calls upon British based BAT, ITC along with the stock broker Damani- controlled Bright Star Investments to divest its holdings in the company.
-AP calls for bids for disinvestment of the company.
-Russell Credit Ltd acquires 723499 shares which is 4.69% of VST Industries Ltd.
-Bright Star Investments Ltd acquires 3,10,442 shares amounting to 2.01% of the company.
-Delisted from Madras Stock Exchanges
-Vst Industries Ltd. has informed that the equity shares of the Company have been delisted from The Stock Exchange - Ahmedabad effective January 21, 2004.
-Delists shares from Delhi Stock Exchange
-The Comapny has recommend dividend @ Rs 12.50 for the year. 2007
-The Comapny has recommended a Dividend of 200% on the Ordinary Share Capital.
-The Company has recommend dividend @ Rs 20/- for the year.
- Mr. R. V. K. M. Suryarau, the existing Independent Non-Executive Director has been appointed as the Chairman of the Company.
-The Company has recommend dividend for the year 2009-10 - Rs. 30/-.
-The Company has recommend dividend for the year 2010-11 - Rs. 45.
-The Company has recommended dividend for the year 2011-12 - Rs. 65/-
-Mr. N. Sai Sankar has been appointed as Managing Director of the Company.
-The Company has recommended dividend for the year 2012-13 of Rs. 62.50/-
- The Company has recommended dividend for the year 2013-14 - Rs. 70/-
Date Sources:Live BSE and NSE Quotes Service: TickerPlant | Corporate Data, F&O Data & Historical price volume data: Dion Global Solutions Ltd.
BSE Quotes and Sensex are real-time and licensed from the Bombay Stock Exchange. NSE Quotes and Nifty are also real time and licenced from National Stock Exchange. All times stamps are reflecting IST (Indian Standard Time).
Copyright © 2019 Bennett, Coleman & Co. Ltd. All rights reserved. For reprint rights: Times Syndication Service