Never miss a great news story!
Get instant notifications from Economic Times
AllowNot now

You can switch off notifications anytime using browser settings.
Stock Analysis, IPO, Mutual Funds, Bonds & More

Banking, insurance, RERA: How to complain to financial ombudsmen

ET Wealth lists how you can file a grievance with banking, insurance and RERA ombudsmen.

, ET Bureau|
Updated: Jul 01, 2019, 10.47 AM IST
Getty Images
You have to follow a step by step process for filing a complaint in any of the ombudsman.
If you are not satisfied with the grievance redressal mechanism of your insurer or bank, you can lodge a complaint with the relevant ombudsman. And for property related issues, you can approach the Real Estate Regulatory Authority that comes under the purview of the real estate Act.

ET Wealth lists the step by step process of how you can file a complaint with a banking ombudsman, insurance ombudsman, and the Real Estate Regulatory Authority.

1. Banking Ombudsman
  • Approach bank first and allow them a period of 30 days to respond
  • If the bank does not respond or fails to meet your expectations, approach the banking ombudsman (BO) office under whose ambit your case falls. Now you can do so through
  • Do not delay escalation beyond a year of having received the bank's response or a year and a month of having fi led the complaint
  • You can file a written complaint after downloading the form available on the Banking Ombudsman portal (, along with relevant documents
  • You can also take the online route to register your grievance (https://secweb.
  • The BO will either facilitate a settlement through conciliation or pass an award
  • If ombudsman fails to meet expectations, approach the appellate authority ƒÞƒnƒnIf all else fails, move the consumer courts

2. Insurance Ombudsman
  • Insurer should be first port of call; do not approach ombudsman offices directly. The complaint should be in writing with supporting documents.
  • If insurer fails to respond or response is unsatisfactory, escalate the complaint through Irdai¡¦s integrated grievance management system (
  • You can also approach ombudsman under whose jurisdiction your case falls
  • If you feel let down by ombudsman too, approach consumer courts

You may also read: How to fight for your financial rights

3. Real Estate Regulatory Authority (RERA)
  • Log on to the RERA authority's website and register as a complainant
  • You will need to provide details like email ID and mobile number
  • Go to Accounts >> My Profile and enter the details asked for
  • Click on 'Complaint Details' tab and choose 'Add New Complaints'
  • Provide details asked for, including project's registration numbers, and the respondent's antecedents
  • Upload the relevant project-related documents and share the facts of your case
  • Specify the nature of relief you are seeking, explaining the grounds and the relevant legal provisions
  • Make a declaration of having provided accurate information and pay the requisite fees online
  • RERA adjudicating officer will hear the case and issue an order
  • If you are dissatisfied, you can approach the appellate tribunal within 60 days from receipt of the order; next stop is the High Court

Also Read

Unusual Insurance: How startups are changing the insurance game

Policy shift: Insurers blacklist coal

Make sure insurance ads are clear, fair and not misleading: Irdai to insurers

TCS to take insurance platform places

DHFL bankruptcy: Irdai rules out troubles for two insurance arms; asks insurers to write off exposure

Add Your Comments
Commenting feature is disabled in your country/region.
Download The Economic Times Business News App for the Latest News in Business, Sensex, Stock Market Updates & More.

Other useful Links

Follow us on

Download et app

Copyright © 2019 Bennett, Coleman & Co. Ltd. All rights reserved. For reprint rights: Times Syndication Service