- iPhone 12 production spoiling air quality in China: Report
According to analysts, they have seen an increase in nitrogen dioxide levels in the air. This pollutant is a direct cause of increased industrial production, it says.
- Mayawati’s open support to BJP spells setback for grand secular democratic front in Bihar
The RLSP is contesting 104 seats, BSP 80 seats, AIMIM 24 seats and others 40 seats. The 24 seats being contested by the AIMIM are all in the Seemanchal region, where Muslims have a sizeable population. It was one of the regions where the RJD-led opposition alliance was fearing a division of vote in minorities because of Owaisi’s party.
- View: India’s luxury sector must learn from Covid punch to use tech to reach untapped markets
But with Covid ‘unlocking’, signs of high-end consumer-buying are becoming visible. Mercedes-Benz has reported an almost fourfold jump in retail sales in the July-September quarter, selling 2,058 cars, compared to 563 cars in the last quarter. This may be an anomaly, but it indicates that people with money are ready to spend.
- Walmart pulls guns from shop floors citing unrest
Walmart plans to remove guns and ammunition from its sales floors in the US following unrest in Philadelphia this week, a spokeswoman said on Thursday.
- New arrest after France church attack, security tightened
Tunisian anti-terrorism authorities opened an investigation Friday into an online claim of responsibility by a person who said the attack on the Notre Dame Basilica in the French Riviera city of Nice was staged by a heretofore-unknown Tunisian extremist group.
- Bihar elections: Lots at stake for Nitish, as Tejashwi could make it a close fight
The response the 30-year-old Yadav is getting appears to be more than anti-incumbency disaffection towards the ruling Janata Dal (United)-BJP government. It could even point to akrosh, or anger — which is when people look more at who they want to throw out than who they want to bring in.
- Agricultural, Marine export bodies may move out of Commerce Ministry
As part of the exercise, it may move apex export promotion bodies of these products – Agricultural and Processed Food products Export Development Authority (Apeda) and Marine Products Export Development Authority (MPEDA) – to their respective ministries.
- Guns and Poses: Weapon sales rocket up in US as election day nears
Gun sales across America have rocketed this year following Covid-19 related shortages and shutdowns, racial unrest, and political tensions. An estimated 5 million people are reported to have purchased firearms for the first time in the US, according to industry estimated and national survey of retailers.
- IPL 2020: Rajasthan Royals batsmen click as unit to beat KXIP by 7 wickets
Chasing 186 for a win, RR overhauled the target in 17.3 overs with Stokes top-scoring with a magnificent 26-ball 50. Sanju Samson was also equally impressive during his knock of 48 from 25 balls.
- India test-fires air launched version of BrahMos supersonic cruise missile
The missile was fired after the Su-30 MKI aircraft travelled for over three hours covering a "significantly long distance", the officials said.
- Cost, conditions made Myanmar choose Indian submarine
The submarine which recently went into operation has been named ‘Min Ye Thein Kha Thu’, an ancient Burmese warrior. Mid-October the submarine joined its first exercise conducted by the Myanmar navy and Myanmar’s senior general was present on the occasion.
- Here's what you need to know about US Presidential Polls 2020
The upcoming presidential election is going to be markedly different from the previous presidential elections, especially with the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic and the relations between the US and China being the key talking points of the election campaigns.
- Make people want to be careful for Covid-19 mitigation
Given the infectious nature of the Covid-19 disease, some amount of restrictions such as temporary lockdowns and fines for not adhering to best practices in public places can be justified by legal means.
- Why you should avoid buying GE Power shares
Analysts said weak domestic boiler market outlook and uncertainty surrounding its existing agreement with BHEL pose major challenges to the company’s earnings.
- PM Modi inaugurates 17 projects around Statue of Unity in Kevadia colony
Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated 17 projects around the Statue of Unity (SOU) in Kevadia colony on the first day of his two-day visit to his home state Gujarat on Friday.
- MEA to brief ambassadors accredited to India on Modi govt Covid response, vaccine development
Foreign Secretary Harsh V Shringla will lead the efforts and hold a presentation on the critical issue for the Delhi-based diplomatic corps, ET has reliably learnt.
- Cyfirma says India has faced higher threats from state-sponsored attackers in H1
Singapore-based cybersecurity firm CYFIRMA in its India Threat Landscape Report 2020 has said that due to increased digital adoption in India but low cyber maturity, more nations have been trying to 'breach India’s security parameters.'
- 2nd study testing a COVID-19 antibody drug has a setback
Tests in animals suggest that antibody drugs work best when given early in infection to lower the amount of virus, he said. Once someone is very sick, the drugs may not help, but it's too soon to know if that's the case
- NSE-BSE bulk deals: Spruce Grove International buys 82 lakh shares of Zee Entertainment
Spruce Grove International Pooled Fund sold a total of 82,01,894 shares of Zee Entertainment at Rs 184.73 per share, data available with the NSE showed.
- UP govt's decision to give sops to companies to diversify supply chains from China yield results
UP CM Yogi Adityanath had directed ministers and government officials in April to hold discussions with companies having their manufacturing bases in China, and find ways to offer them sops that would encourage them to shift their existing facilities out of China.
- Ritu Phogat wins third straight MMA title
"It feels ecstatic to have a hat-trick in my MMA career with this win," Ritu said in a release. "Moreover, the hardships and challenges that I faced during to the pandemic have indeed paid off. I feel euphoric to be taking India to a new height in the MMA space and I cannot be more proud.
- ICICI Bank Q2 preview: Multifold jump in profit likely; NIM may fall marginally
Updates on incremental Covid-related provisions, collection efficiency, BB and below-rated book and restructuring would be keenly followed, analysts said.
- Govt allows import of potatoes from Bhutan till Jan 31, 2021
India on Friday allowed the import of fresh and chilled potatoes from Bhutan without any license, up to January 31, 2021. Their imports were restricted till now.
- Amazon says its Diwali sales off to a good start
The US-based e-retailer saw its net sales increasing 37 per cent to USD 96.1 billion in the third quarter of 2020 from about USD 70 billion in the year-ago period.
- Anti-incumbency not a factor in Bihar polls: Sanjay Jha
Anti-incumbency is an outdated concept, and one of the most misunderstood and misused, said senior JD(U) leader Sanjay Jha.
- Government plans to set up more secure accommodation inside southern Kashmir
Ahead of the upcoming panchayat polls, a detailed security review of political workers and sarpanchs is being undertaken, as part of which the number of secure accommodation in proximity to the residences of sarpanchs and panchs is likely to be increased.
- Chris Gayle becomes first to hit 1,000 sixes in T20 cricket
Chris Gayle became the first batsman to get to 1,000 sixes in T20 cricket history when he smashed the seventh of his eight sixes during his belligerent 99 against Kings XI Punjab in an Indian Premier League match here.
- RIL Q2 takeaways: Petchem, Jio outperform; but GRM disappoints
Petrochemical, refining and oil & gas business performed handsomely, but showed some chinks in the armour as gross refining margin shrank, as did margins for many petrochemical products. These businesses, historically, have been the cash cow for the company.
- Jio Payments Bank gets Rs 1 crore penalty from RBI
Jio Payments Bank was required to submit an application under Section 35B of the Act in the case of reappointment of MD & CEO of the bank four months prior to the date on which the term of the current position holders was to expire as per RBI guidelines.
- Income tax department carried out searches in Bihar
"The searches have led to unearthing of unaccounted income of about Rs. 75 crore, so far. Evidences of unaccounted cash entries, unaccounted sales and purchases have been found totalling to more than Rs 8 crore. In addition, sales and purchases of stone etc have been found to be not recorded in the books of accounts, " the Board said in the statement.
- Pakistani minister's admission revealed truth of Pulwama attack, silenced govt critics: Rajnath Singh
Forty Central Reserve Police Force personnel were killed on February 14, 2019, when a jeep laden with explosives had hit a convoy of vehicles carrying security personnel on the Jammu- Srinagar highway at Lethpora in Pulwama.
- 50 per cent of Bhubaneswar population developed antibodies against COVID: RMRC
However, the remaining 50 per cent of the state capitals 11 lakh people is still vulnerable to the infection and there should not be any complacency. All should maintain COVID safety protocols such as wearing masks, washing hands, and adhering to social distancing norms, Dr Sanghamitra Pati, director of RMRC, Bhubaneswar, said.
- Shiv Sena likely to nominate actress Urmila Matondkar to the Maharashtra Legislative Council
An official confirmation from the actress is yet to come. The Sena is also yet to make an announcement, indicating that the process is still on.
- Mizoram govt refuses to withdraw forces; agitators in Assam continue with blockade
Mizoram home minister Lalchamliana told ET, “While vehicles moved from the Mizoram side, there is no movement of lorries from the Assam side.”
- Apple shares decline after iPhone sales miss, China drops 29%
Sales of the iPhone fell 21 per cent on anticipation of the new models, which arrived later than usual this year. Cook said the response to the 5G iPhone lineup and other new devices has been “tremendously positive.”
- Panel discusses construction of Ram temple with experts
Sources said engineers from Tata Constructions and experts from Larsen & Turbo attended the meeting. This was the first meeting in which Tata engineers took part. There is a possibility that the Tata firm may be involved in the construction of the Ram temple, told the sources.
- Reliance Retail Q2 results: Profit declines 14%, revenue flat
Reliance’s retail division, which runs 12,000 stores selling products across groceries, consumer electronics and apparel, posted sales of Rs 41,100 crore with earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation and amortization (EBITDA) at Rs1,986 crore.
- Chris Gayle misses hundred by one run but takes KXIP to 185/4
Chris Gayle and captain KL Rahul (46) took the RR bowlers to the cleaners, stitching 120 runs for the second wicket in 13.4 overs to help KXIP post a challenging total after being put in to bat.
- Twitter falls on paltry gains in new users in third quarter
The company reported 187 million daily users at the end of the quarter, an increase of 29 per cent from last year, but a paltry gain over the previous period. By comparison, Twitter added 20 million new users in the second quarter.
- Karnataka staring at Rs 65,000 crore drop in revenues, says ex-GST Council member
In an interaction with ET on Thursday, Congress MLA Krishna Byre Gowda said the state’s GST shortfall this year is expected to be between Rs 25,000 crore and Rs 27,000 crore.