!1 New UpdateClick here for latest updates
Wrap-up: Here's all you need to know
- National COVID recovery rate touches 61.53%
- Coronavirus death figure in Mumbai crosses 5,000
- 2,033 news cases, 3,982 recovered, and 48 deaths reported in Delhi yesterday
- Coronavirus cases in UP cross 30,000-mark
- Punjab reported 158 new COVID-19 cases and three deaths in the last 24 hours
- 2062 new COVID-19 cases and 54 deaths reported in Karnataka in the last 24 hours
- Africa's confirmed cases now above a half-million
- Cabinet approves extension of EPF support for 3 months till August
- Army personnel have been asked to delete dating apps
- Harvard, MIT sue US immigration authorities over new rule for foreign students
- Irdai sets up panel to look into possibility of 'Pandemic Risk Pool'
- BJP leader, his father and brother shot dead by militants in J-K's Bandipora
- India Global Week 2020: PM Modi to deliver the inaugural address on Day 1
- Fernando Alonso returns to Formula One
- US, China impose visa restrictions on each other
Telangana recorded 1924 new Covid-19 positive cases and 11 deaths today
Telangana on Wednesday saw one of the highest surges in single-day Covid-19 positive cases of 1,924 to take the total to 29,536. The state so far reported 324 Covid deaths, which includes 11 deaths over the last 24 hours. The state announced discharging 17,279 persons thus far which include 992 discharges on Wednesday. Telangana tested 6,363 samples over the last 24 hours to take the cumulative to 1,34,801 tests to date.
Tourism hotspot hill station Darjeeling shuts down door for tourists
- Tourism hotspot Darjeeling hill is closing its doors for the tourists till 31st July to curve down the rapidly increasing CoVID 19 positive case count. Darjeeling district with a unique administrative set up of two separate district bodies, will maintain two different protocols for its plains and hills.
- "I would like to take a decision regarding temporarily stopping all tourists coming from outside GTA region to Darjeeling and Kalimpong district till 31st July with immediate effect," GTA Chairman Anit Thapa said today. GTA (Gorkhaland Territorial Administration) is an elected administrative body for the entire hill district Kalimpong and hilly region of Darjeeling at per with District Development Board. The rest of Darjeeling district in the plains is governed by a separate District Development Board.
- "I am concerned with the 84 containment zones of Darjeeling district. But number of cases is much less in the hills compared to plains. Hence, I request all in the hills to refrain from travelling to plains," added Thapa.
- The plains of Darjeeling district will have no restriction for tourists. But specific containment areas of entire district will be under lockdown for seven days from 9th July evening.
- Till Tuesday evening, with 18 lakh population, Darjeeling district had 684 positive cases. One for every 2,631 population. Compared to this, with 23,837 case count against 9 crore population, the state average is much healthier at 1 out of every 3,773 population. "The steep upraise in case count here is worrisome," said an official at district health office.
Defence Minister likely to inaugurate key border infra projects on Thursday
- Defence Minister Rajnath Singh is likely to inaugurate on Thursday multiple border infrastructure projects in strategically key areas including in the western sector, government sources said Wednesday.
- A number of bridges in the border areas will be virtually inaugurated, they added.
- The government had told the Border Roads Organisation (BRO) to continue with its infrastructure projects in the region near the Line of Actual Control (LAC), even as a standoff began on May 5 between the Indian and Chinese armies in eastern Ladakh.
- The LAC is de facto border between India and China.
Assam govt to initiate disciplinary action against the erring officials
- Miffed with police personnel partying on river cruise boat on Brahmaputra River in Guwahati amidst lockdown, chief minister Sarbananda Sonowal asked home minister to initiate disciplinary action and transfer against the erring officials.
PM Modi enquired about the gruesome killing of Wasim Bari
Veteran Bollywood actor and comedian Jagdeep passes away at the age of 81
- Veteran Actor-comedian Jagdeep, best known for his role as Soorma Bhopali in "Sholay", died on Wednesday at his residence. He was 81.
- The actor, real name Syed Ishtiaq Ahmed Jafri, was not keeping well.
- "He passed away at 8.30 pm at his residence in Bandra. He was not keeping well due to age related issues," producer Mehmood Ali, a close family friend, told PTI.
- Jagdeep appeared in around 400 films but it is his role as Soorma Bhopali in 1975 film "Sholay" that is etched in audiences' minds even today.
- He also played memorable roles in "Purana Mandir" and in "Andaz Apna Apna" as Salman Khan's father.
- Better known by his stage name Jagdeep, the actor also directed the movie "Soorma Bhopali" with his character as the protagonist.
- He is survived by two sons - Javed and Naved.
Canada handled the coronavirus outbreak better than United States: PM Justin Trudeau
- Canada handled the novel coronavirus outbreak better than many of its allies, including the United States, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said on Wednesday, in a rare public comment on the faltering U.S. effort.
- Canada - with a population one-tenth the size of the United States - has so far recorded 8,711 deaths and 106,167 cases and Trudeau said the situation was stabilizing, although some hot spots remained.
- In contrast, the United States has recorded more than 3 million cases and 131,336 deaths. Authorities have reported alarming upswings of daily case loads in roughly two dozen states over the past two weeks.
Trains for the poor are already there. We've not privatised Railways. Airfares came down after private companies entry into aviation & efficiency improved. Now even the poor can travel in planes.
- Piyush Goyal, Railway Minister
Army personnel have been asked to delete dating apps
Indian Army has asked its personnel to delete 89 apps from their smartphones including Facebook, TikTok, Truecaller and Instagram to plug leakage of information: Indian Army Sources
Irdai sets up panel to look into possibility of 'Pandemic Risk Pool'
Insurance regulator Irdai on Wednesday set up a working group to examine the possibility of setting up a 'Pandemic Risk Pool' to deal with the risks associated with disruption in economic activity following an outbreak of coronavirus-like health emergencies.
BJP leader, his father and brother shot dead by militants in J-K's Bandipora
A BJP leader, his father and brother were shot dead by militants in Jammu and Kashmir's Bandipora district Wednesday night, said DGP Dilbagh Singh. Militants opened fire on Wasim Ahmad Bari, BJP district president, outside his shop near police station Bandipora at around 9 pm.
Coronavirus death figure in Mumbai crosses 5,000
- The coronavirus death toll in Mumbai crossed the 5,000-mark on Wednesday with 62 new fatalities, the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) said.
- While the death toll reached 5,061, the tally of coronavirus cases in the country's financial capital rose to 87,513 with 1,381 new patients found.
- The number of recovered COVID-19 patients rose to 59,238 with 1,101 persons discharged from hospitals during the day, the BMC said.
Biggest one-day spike takes MP tally beyond 16,000
Madhya Pradesh recorded the biggest single-day spike of 409 new COVID-19 cases on Wednesday, due to which the count of patients in the state crossed the 16,000-mark.
Qualcomm launches its most powerful mobile chip, Snapdragon 865 Plus
- The United States-based chipmaker Qualcomm has announced a new version of its flagship Snapdragon 865 processor called the Snapdragon 865 Plus.
- The refreshed version is designed to faster the efficiency by almost 10 per cent for AI applications and gaming.
Street shooting leaves 4 dead, 3 wounded in New Jersey
- A street shooting in a northern New Jersey city left four men dead and three others wounded, authorities said Wednesday.
- The gunfire in Paterson, about 15 miles northwest of New York City, erupted shortly after 11 p.m. Tuesday. Four victims found at the scene were taken to a hospital, where they all died a short time later, authorities said.
Covid-19: 330 more cases reported in J&K today - 59 in Jammu division & 271 from Kashmir division
In crowded places, even a single infected person can potentially pass infection to many others: CSIR DG
Covid update: 2,033 news cases, 3,982 recovered, and 48 deaths reported in Delhi today
Karnataka Medical Education Minister Dr K Sudhakar
Private hospitals have agreed to provide 3,500 beds for COVID-19 treatment. Together with beds and COVID care centres, private hospitals will add 6,000 to 7,000 beds in coming days: Karnataka Medical Education Minister Dr K Sudhakar
'Har Ghar Nal' scheme to be completed by 2022 in UP: Adityanath
Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath on Wednesday said the 'Har Ghar Nal' scheme under which the government aims to provide piped water supply to every household in the state would be completed by 2022. The 'Har Ghar Nal' under the Centre's Jal Jeevan Mission scheme is the top priority of the state government, he added.
PM Modi to interact with representatives from Varanasi based NGOs tomorrow
In Pics: Delhi govt's new 500-bed COVID care centre at Commonwealth Games Village
2062 new COVID-19 cases and 54 deaths reported in Karnataka in the last 24 hours, taking total number of cases to 28,877
MEA: Government will do its utmost to protect Kulbhushan Jadhav
Assam Congress leader Sushmita Dev tests COVID-19 positive
National COVID recovery rate touches 61.53%; nearly 2 lakh more recovered cases than active ones
Pakistan’s claim that Jadhav, who is incarcerated in Pakistan’s custody, has refused to initiate review petition is a continuation of the farce that has been in play for the last four years: MEA
US Secretary of State on India-China border tensions
Maharashtra Covid update: Number of active cases stands at 91,065
BCCI president announces cancellation of Asia Cup in September
- BCCI president Sourav Ganguly on Wednesday announced cancellation of the Asia Cup T20, which was scheduled to be held in September.
- Pakistan had the hosting rights of the six-team continental event but it was expected to be held in the UAE.
Punjab reported 158 new COVID-19 cases and three deaths in the last 24 hours, taking active cases to 1,901 and death toll to 178
Beijing fears its own people's freethinking: US Secy
Complete lockdown in Patna from July 10-16
An order to this effect was issued by Patna District Magistrate Kumar Ravi. Except for the essential services, markets, offices and other commercial activities will be prohibited during the lockdown period in the state capital, the order said.
Over 12,000 COVID-19 tests in last 4 days in Noida
The officials said that the district administration's two-pronged strategy -- containment and early detected of cases -- has helped it keep the fatality rate "one of the lowest in the country" during the pandemic.
Rajasthan recorded 409 new COVID-19 cases and 7 deaths till 8.30 pm today, taking the total number of cases to 16,036 and deaths to 629.
Covid-19: Uttarakhand reports 28 new positive cases today taking the total number of cases to 3258
India Global Week 2020: PM Modi to deliver the inaugural address on Day 1
DU: Open Book Examination (OBE) for all streams
Coronavirus cases in UP cross 30,000-mark
The number of coronavirus cases in Uttar Pradesh crossed the 30,000-mark on Wednesday as 1,188 fresh cases were reported in the state, with 18 new deaths in the last 24 hours.
Harvard, MIT sue US immigration authorities over new rule for foreign students: Report
- Harvard University and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology have sued the Department of Homeland Security and the federal immigration agency over new guidelines barring foreign students from remaining in America if their universities switched to online-only classes in the Fall.
- A report in The Harvard Crimson said the two preeminent educational institutions filed a lawsuit in District Court in Boston Wednesday morning against the two federal agencies.
- The lawsuit seeks a temporary restraining order and preliminary and permanent injunctive relief to bar the US Department of Homeland Security and Immigration and Customs Enforcement from the enforcing federal guidelines that will force international students to leave the US.
Kerala recorded 301 new COVID-19 cases & 107 recoveries today, taking active cases to 2605
Harvard, MIT sue Trump administration over move to strip visas from foreign students whose courses have moved online: Reports
Number of COVID-19 cases reaches 1,092 in Himachal Pradesh, active cases stand at 260
Italy calls for restrictions on non-EU arrivals to contain epidemic
- Italy on Wednesday called for new precautionary measures for passengers travelling to European Union countries from outside the bloc to contain the spread of the new coronavirus.
- Italy has suspended all flights from Bangladesh for one week due to a "significant number" of passengers who tested positive to COVID-19 on a flight to Rome on Monday.
Post Devolution Revenue Deficit Grant to states
EU must emerge stronger, more united from corona-crisis: Merkel
Preserving basic rights, fostering solidarity, protecting the climate, digitalisation, and Europe's role in the world are Germany's top priorities during its six-month presidency of the European Union, Chancellor Angela Merkel said on Wednesday.
Lockdown in containment zones in Bengal for 7 days from 5 pm Thursday
Lockdown will be imposed in containment zones in West Bengal for seven days from 5 pm Thursday to check the surge in novel coronavirus cases.
Covid-19: 3 new cases reported in Dharavi area of Mumbai today. Total number of cases in the area is now at 2,338, including 329 active cases.
Group of Ministers (GoM) meeting to be held tomorrow on Covid-19
Chinese government agrees that WHO will send a team of experts to Beijing to trace the origin of Covid-19
Opposition parties in Kerala demand CM's resignation
The opposition has been up in arms against the government over the recent seizure of over 30 kg of gold from the International Airport which was attempted to be smuggled into the state through diplomatic baggage.
Mumbai hotels resume operation with 33% capacity
UP cops arrested for allegedly informing Vikas Dubey about raid
Former SHO of Chaubeypur Vinay Tiwari and a sub inspector KK Sharma have been arrested
ED attaches Nirav Modi's fortune
Bihar reports highest single-day spike
The state has reported 749 new cases, total cases now up to 13,274.
ITBP-WHO meet to talk COVID-19 safety protocols
"The WHO and senior doctors are giving the best training possible to the newcomers. Juniors are updated about new technologies and also have the opportunity to ask questions if they have any," a government official said.
Patna to remain under lockdown from 10th July to 16th July